Iron: Paramagnet and Last Fusion Product

In summary, iron is a chemical element that is both paramagnetic and the last fusion product in the life cycle of a star. It is the most abundant element on Earth and is essential for many biological processes. Iron's paramagnetism allows it to be easily magnetized, making it useful in various industries such as electronics and construction. In addition, iron's fusion process in the core of a star produces energy and heavier elements, making it a crucial element in the universe. Its properties and applications make iron a highly valuable and versatile element.
gendou2
Iron: Paramagnetic and Last Fusion Product

Iron seems to have many mysterious properties:

1. Strongest ferromagnetic rare Earth element.
2. Last stage of fusion in stars to yield positive energy.
3. Heaviest of the ten most abundant elements.

I can imagine how 2 and 3 are likely related.
What about 1?
Is there a reason why we might expect the end of the fusion chain to be ferromagnetic?
I should probably start by asking, what makes Iron ferromagnetic?
Is it some property of the outermost electron shell?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
gendou2 said:
Iron seems to have many mysterious properties:

1. Strongest ferromagnetic rare Earth element.
Iron is not a rare earth, but nevertheless, how do you define strength of ferromagnetism?

I hadn't thought about it before...

Let's say I have 3 spheres of metal: Iron, Cobalt, Nickel.
With a weak magnet, I can suspend the iron sphere against the pull of gravity.
A stronger magnet can suspend the Cobalt sphere.
A much stronger magnet can levitate the Nickel sphere.

Is that a good definition?

---

So far, I've learned a bit about ferromagnetic properties of Iron from these two sources:

http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/phys/iron.htm

I also read up on binding energy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_energy

I read that nickel-62 actually has the most tightly bound nucleus of all!
This dampens the mystery for me, a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
gendou2 said:
I hadn't thought about it before...

Let's say I have 3 spheres of metal: Iron, Cobalt, Nickel.
With a weak magnet, I can suspend the iron sphere against the pull of gravity.
A stronger magnet can suspend the Cobalt sphere.
A much stronger magnet can levitate the Nickel sphere.

Is that a good definition?
That's a usable definition (for the purpose of this discussion). Note, however, that your definition makes no mention of ambient conditions, and therefore implicitly assumes the conditions are near that of the mean temperature and pressure at the surface of one particular planet (i.e., the Earth). This is a somewhat arbitrary choice of conditions, in a universal context. For instance, if you heat up the experimental chamber to about 1000K, the iron ball will stop levitating but the cobalt ball will not. On the other hand, if you cool the chamber down to 10K, you could suspend a gadolinium sphere with a much weaker magnet than the one needed for the iron sphere.

Gokul43201 said:
...if you cool the chamber down to 10K, you could suspend a gadolinium sphere with a much weaker magnet than the one needed for the iron sphere.

Wow, that's a trip!
Thanks for your informative reply Gokul43201.
So, ferromagnetism is an Earth-temperature-pressure-centric phenomenon?
I found this graph of the Curie temperatures for different elements:

http://www.periodictable.com/Properties/A/CuriePoint.html

I wonder, could one predict these graph points using quantum mechanics?

gendou2 said:
I wonder, could one predict these graph points using quantum mechanics?
Yes, knowing the crystal structure and the lattice parameters (distances between certain atoms in the crystal), it is possible to calculate the Curie temperature.

1. What is the difference between paramagnetic and diamagnetic materials?

Paramagnetic materials are attracted to a magnetic field, while diamagnetic materials are repelled by a magnetic field. Iron is an example of a paramagnetic material.

2. How does iron play a role in fusion reactions?

Iron is the last fusion product in the process of nuclear fusion, where lighter elements combine to form heavier elements. This occurs in the cores of stars and is responsible for the creation of most of the elements in the universe.

3. What makes iron a good conductor of electricity?

Iron has a high electrical conductivity due to its abundance of free electrons. These electrons are able to move easily through the material, allowing for the flow of electricity.

4. Why is iron important for human health?

Iron is an essential mineral for human health, as it is involved in the production of red blood cells and the transport of oxygen throughout the body. It is also important for the functioning of enzymes and the immune system.

5. How is iron used in everyday life?

Iron is used in a variety of everyday objects, including construction materials, machinery, and household appliances. It is also a key component in the production of steel, which is used in buildings, vehicles, and many other products.