Why is wavefunction complex-valued?

• Thread starter cadamcross2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavefunction
In summary, the use of complex numbers in quantum mechanics arises from the need to represent both wavelike and probabilistic behavior in a single function. This function, known as the wave function, is used to model physical quantities and changes in physical quantities in quantum systems. The choice to use complex numbers is natural due to the properties of harmonic oscillators and the Cauchy-Riemann equations, as well as their ability to represent both difusive and anti-difusive behavior. Further insights and references can be found in discussions and articles such as those mentioned in the conversation above.
cadamcross2
I'd like to know why wave functions are taken to be complex-valued in general, and where the i in the Schrödinger equation comes from and what it means. I've seen plenty of we-use-this-because-it-works type arguments. What I'm hoping for is a meaningful explanation of how the complex numbers arise out of the physics and what physical quantities (or changes of physical quantities, etc) are modeled by the real and imaginary parts of the wave function (in particular, not just the familiar interpretation of the modulus of this function). I'd appreciate any insight or perhaps just a reference to a book where this is discussed. Right now I'm reading Shankar. The physics is pulled out of nowhere.

I'm a PhD math student trying to pick up quantum mechanics. In particular, I'm a harmonic analyst if that means anything to you, but my background in physics is negligible

Physics news on Phys.org
I have read a paper called something like "A Classical context to Schroedinger equation" in Am. J of Phys. In this paper the author explains what may be the answer you are searching for. He says SE having complex nature allows the formalism to contain both difusive and anti-difusive behavior, and quantum mechanics of a particle subjected to a given potential needs such anti-difusive behavior besides the difusive one. Notice that it (SE) resembles to much the difusion equation.

May the paper itself be of more help.

Best Regards,

DaTario

cadamcross2 said:
I'd like to know why wave functions are taken to be complex-valued in general, and where the i in the Schrödinger equation comes from and what it means. I've seen plenty of we-use-this-because-it-works type arguments. What I'm hoping for is a meaningful explanation of how the complex numbers arise out of the physics and what physical quantities (or changes of physical quantities, etc) are modeled by the real and imaginary parts of the wave function (in particular, not just the familiar interpretation of the modulus of this function). I'd appreciate any insight or perhaps just a reference to a book where this is discussed. Right now I'm reading Shankar. The physics is pulled out of nowhere.

I'm a PhD math student trying to pick up quantum mechanics. In particular, I'm a harmonic analyst if that means anything to you, but my background in physics is negligible

See, e.g., https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1415621&postcount=13

Regarding the post at https://www.physicsforums.com/showpos...1&postcount=13 , I had read that before posting my question but I was hoping for more--not just that it can be done without reference to the complex numbers, but *why* the complex numbers are appropriate, and why we choose to use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some discussion can be found in previous posts like
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=287383

I have collected a lot of mathematical articles about the complex amplitude which I haven't had the time to read. But if you suggest a way to transfer files, then I can send them to you.

cadamcross2 said:
Regarding the post at https://www.physicsforums.com/showpos...1&postcount=13 , I had read that before posting my question but I was hoping for more--not just that it can be done without reference to the complex numbers, but *why* the complex numbers are appropriate, and why we choose to use them.

The physicist M. Nussenzveig once has said that he bet if one can build quantum mechanism without complex numbers.

Best Wishes

DaTario

Last edited by a moderator:
cadamcross2 said:
but *why* the complex numbers are appropriate, and why we choose to use them.

You could instead express QM by a set of coupled differential equations. However, this set included the Cauchy-Riemann equations, so it becomes quite natural to use complex numbers because those equations are automatically satisfied.

Thanks for your replies. I'm finding the discussion at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=287383&page=2 very helpful, and it didn't previously turn up in my searches. As I'm beginning to understand, we need a function that represents a probability density and is also wavelike, and wanting it to be wavelike suggests using the complex plane, where harmonic oscillators most naturally live.

1. Why is the wavefunction complex-valued?

The wavefunction is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a system. In the quantum mechanical framework, particles are described by their wave-like properties, and the complex-valued wavefunction is used to describe these properties. It contains both magnitude and phase information, which are important for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. What does the complex-valued nature of the wavefunction signify?

The complex-valued nature of the wavefunction signifies the superposition principle in quantum mechanics. This principle states that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and the complex numbers in the wavefunction allow for the interference of these states. This is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

3. Can a real-valued wavefunction accurately describe a quantum system?

No, a real-valued wavefunction cannot accurately describe a quantum system. The complex-valued nature of the wavefunction is necessary to fully capture the wave-like behavior of particles at the quantum level. A real-valued wavefunction would not be able to account for the interference of multiple states and would not accurately predict the behavior of particles in experiments.

4. Is there any physical significance to the imaginary component of the wavefunction?

Yes, the imaginary component of the wavefunction has physical significance. It represents the phase of the wavefunction, which is essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. The phase can affect the probability of finding a particle in a particular state, and it is crucial for predicting the outcomes of quantum experiments.

5. Can the complex-valued nature of the wavefunction be visualized or understood intuitively?

The complex-valued nature of the wavefunction is a mathematical concept and cannot be visualized or understood intuitively. It is an abstract representation of the quantum state of a system and is not directly related to observable physical quantities. However, it is a necessary tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level.