Solving the Rope Falling off a Table Problem: A Contradiction?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rope falling off a table and the two different methods used to solve it. One method involves setting up a differential equation and solving it, while the other method uses conservation of energy. The speakers also mention the use of Math Type and how it can be used to copy and paste equations into the forum. However, one speaker questions the validity of using F = d/dt [mv] in this particular problem.
Mazerakham
I am studying differential equations from this book by Edwards and Penney, and I seem to have stumbled on this rather bizarre contradiction which I can't seem to get myself out of.

The problem, which is a variation on the classic rope falling off a table, goes as follows:

"Suppose that a flexible 4-ft rope starts with 3 ft of its length arranged in a heap right at the edge of a high horizontal table, with the remaining foot hanging (at rest) off the table. At time t = 0 the heap begins to unwind and the rope begins gradually to fall off the table, under the force of gravity pulling on the overhanging part. Under the assumption that frictional forces of all sorts are negligible, how long will it take for all the rope to fall off the table?"

The authors of the textbook chose to start with F = d/dt [mv]. From here, they set up a differential equation, multiply by an integrating factor, then solve the resulting exact differential equation. Once the function t(x) has been found, the authors conclude T = (approximately) 0.541 s.

I found that when I tried applying conservation of energy, the work was quite a bit simpler, and I reached a final answer which seemed (to me) just as realistic as the authors': 0.839 s.

As soon as I figure out how Math Type works in this forum, I will post the work which leads to these two different answers. I'm curious because, in the frictionless system, Conservation of Energy should hold. Perhaps the authors were incorrect to assume that
F = d/dt [mv]​
applies to this problem?

I'll appreciate any responses.
-Mazerakham

Physics news on Phys.org

Mazerakham said:
As soon as I figure out how Math Type works in this forum, I will post the work which leads to these two different answers.
The mathematical input system used on these forums is LaTeX, not Math Type.
Mazerakham said:
Perhaps the authors were incorrect to assume that
F = d/dt [mv]​
applies to this problem?
Er...that equation is the very definition of force? That's the mathematical statement of Newton's Second Law. So, there is no question of 'assumption' here; it is a fact.

Well, we'll just have to wait for your work before any further comments can be made.

In Mathtype
go to preferences > cut and copy preferences
Select the bottom radio box equation or application for website
Choose Physics Forum from the drop down box
Click OK

You will then be able to copy and paste directly from Mathtype into the forum

Studiot said:
In Mathtype
go to preferences > cut and copy preferences
Select the bottom radio box equation or application for website
Choose Physics Forum from the drop down box
Click OK

You will then be able to copy and paste directly from Mathtype into the forum
That's new to me :approve:! Never knew Mathtype had such functions.

As a scientist, it is important to recognize that contradictions and discrepancies in scientific problems and solutions are not uncommon. In fact, they can often lead to further investigation and discovery. In this particular case, it is possible that the authors' approach using differential equations and the one using conservation of energy may have different assumptions or simplifications that could lead to slight variations in the final answer.

It would be helpful to carefully examine the assumptions and equations used in both approaches to understand the potential sources of discrepancy. Additionally, it may be worth considering other factors that could affect the rope's falling time, such as air resistance or variations in the rope's weight or flexibility.

Ultimately, the most important aspect is to critically analyze and evaluate the solutions, rather than getting caught up in the contradiction itself. This could potentially lead to a deeper understanding of the problem and its underlying principles.

What is the "Rope Falling off a Table Problem"?

The "Rope Falling off a Table Problem" is a physics problem that involves a rope hanging over the edge of a table and one end of the rope being pulled down by a weight. The goal is to determine the minimum weight needed to prevent the rope from falling off the table.

Why is this problem considered a contradiction?

This problem is considered a contradiction because it has two opposing forces at play - the weight pulling down on the rope and the friction between the rope and the table preventing it from slipping off. These two forces are in a constant struggle, and finding the minimum weight needed to overcome the friction and prevent the rope from falling off is a paradoxical task.

What makes this problem challenging to solve?

This problem is challenging to solve because it involves multiple factors such as the weight of the rope, the weight pulling on the rope, the coefficient of friction between the rope and the table, and the angle at which the rope hangs off the table. It requires a deep understanding of physics, particularly in the areas of tension and friction, to find a solution.

Can this problem be solved mathematically?

Yes, this problem can be solved mathematically. By using equations that govern tension and friction, it is possible to calculate the minimum weight needed to prevent the rope from falling off the table. However, the solution may not always be a whole number and may require rounding.

What real-world applications does this problem have?

The "Rope Falling off a Table Problem" has real-world applications in situations where ropes are used to lift or suspend objects, such as in construction or rock climbing. Understanding the physics behind this problem can help with determining the appropriate weight or tension needed to secure the rope and prevent accidents from occurring.