Node Voltage analysis- electrical engineering

In summary, the conversation is about finding the power dissipated by each resistor in a circuit using node voltage analysis. The person has already attempted to solve the problem and is now asking for the next step or if their equations are correct. The other person suggests combining the power equation with Ohm's law.
electronicxco
http://i39.tinypic.com/28akmfk.jpg

Ultimately, I am trying to find power dissipated by each resistor.

I already applied node voltage analysis to the circuit.

The picture shows the diagram of the problem and my attempted solution/ equations I came up with. In the diagram, I labeled the nodes and reference node. All else was given in the diagram.

Please let me know what the next step is in order to find power dissipated by each resistor,
or if my equations for node voltage are not correct.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the potential over each resistor there is a very simply relationship that determines the power.

Last edited:
can you explain please?
i know that power P= current(I) x Voltage (V)

which v and I should i use?

Try combine the power equation you gave last with Ohm's law.

I can say that node voltage analysis is a commonly used method in electrical engineering to analyze and solve complex circuits. It is based on the principle of Kirchhoff's current law and Ohm's law. From the given diagram, it is clear that you have correctly identified the nodes and reference node. Your equations for node voltages also seem to be correct.

To find the power dissipated by each resistor, you can use the formula P = V^2/R, where V is the voltage across the resistor and R is its resistance. From your node voltage analysis, you have already calculated the voltage at each node. Now, you need to calculate the voltage drop across each resistor by subtracting the voltage at the lower node from the voltage at the higher node. Once you have the voltage across each resistor, you can use the formula to calculate the power dissipated by each resistor.

Another approach to finding the power dissipated by each resistor is to use the current flowing through each resistor. From your node voltage analysis, you have also calculated the current at each node. Using Ohm's law, you can calculate the current through each resistor by dividing the voltage drop across the resistor by its resistance. Once you have the current through each resistor, you can use the formula P = I^2*R to calculate the power dissipated by each resistor.

In conclusion, your node voltage analysis is correct and the next step would be to use the calculated node voltages to find the voltage drop across each resistor and then use the appropriate formula to calculate the power dissipated by each resistor. I hope this helps in your analysis.

What is Node Voltage analysis?

Node Voltage analysis is a method used in electrical engineering to analyze and determine the voltages at different nodes (points where multiple components connect) in a circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law.

Why is Node Voltage analysis important?

Node Voltage analysis is important because it allows engineers to calculate the voltages at different points in a circuit, which is necessary for proper design and troubleshooting. It can also help identify the most critical nodes in a circuit and determine how changes in the circuit will affect the voltages at those nodes.

How is Node Voltage analysis performed?

Node Voltage analysis involves assigning a reference node and then writing Kirchhoff's Current Law equations for the remaining nodes, using the reference node as a starting point. These equations can then be solved simultaneously to determine the voltages at each node.

What are the limitations of Node Voltage analysis?

Node Voltage analysis assumes that all components in the circuit are linear and that the circuit is in steady state. It also requires that the circuit be planar (can be drawn on a flat surface without any crossing lines). Additionally, it may become complex for circuits with a large number of nodes.

What are some practical applications of Node Voltage analysis?

Node Voltage analysis is commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, such as amplifiers, filters, and power supplies. It is also useful in analyzing and troubleshooting circuits in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and automotive engineering.