Adding Friction to Momentum Equation: How to Explain Loss of Momentum?

In summary: Well it depends on what you consider the system as. But most likely it is due to error in measurement.
OME9A
Conservation of momentum only applies when there are no external forces, so how would I add friction into the equation?

For a sticky collision,

[tex]p_{A1}+p_{B1}=p_{A2}+p_{B2}[/tex]

But I've seen that the momentum after is usually less than the momentum before (for a sticky, linear collision of 2 carts on a track)

Would I add the force of friction of each cart to the left side of the equation? So

[tex]p_{A1}+p_{B1}+f_{A1}dt+f_{B1}dt=p_{A2}+p_{B2}[/tex]

But the collision itself seems like .0001 seconds so it doesn't really help... How could I form an equation to explain the loss of momentum?

And finally, if two carts of the same weight are traveling at each other, their forces of friction would cancel out so the conservation of momentum would apply?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is always conserved. The effect of friction is to change some of the kinetic energy into heat.

Hmmm... but in all my experiments it is never conserved! So it's just "human error?" That sucks... I was hoping there was a cool explanation!

OME9A said:
Hmmm... but in all my experiments it is never conserved! So it's just "human error?" That sucks... I was hoping there was a cool explanation!

It's not really human error. There will always be friction due to the motion of the masses in relation to the surface as well as the air. That is why in your experiments you'll find that the values differ.

rock.freak667 said:
It's not really human error. There will always be friction due to the motion of the masses in relation to the surface as well as the air. That is why in your experiments you'll find that the values differ.

Right, but I thought that explained the loss in Kinetic Energy, not momentum...

OME9A said:
Right, but I thought that explained the loss in Kinetic Energy, not momentum...

The presence of friction means that the system is not closed anymore.

rock.freak667 said:

so if it isn't closed, we have no way of calculating the correct change in momentum? Even if we know the external forces?

You still seem to be confused between the loss of kinetic energy (true) and loss of momentum (false). If you are doing experiments, you may be neglecting some effect, such as momentum transfer to the track.

mathman said:
You still seem to be confused between the loss of kinetic energy (true) and loss of momentum (false). If you are doing experiments, you may be neglecting some effect, such as momentum transfer to the track.

I understand that momentum is always conserved when there are no external forces, but I've read that if there are external forces, the conservation of momentum does not hold... So how can we create an equation that factors in the external forces since the loss of momentum is false?

Is there anyway to estimate this momentum transfer to the track?

rock.freak667 said:

I read that even with friction it is still closed because matter is not exchanged... Only heat/energy is exchanged. So then the conservation of momentum still applies, and the only reason for the difference is human error...right?

OME9A said:
I read that even with friction it is still closed because matter is not exchanged... Only heat/energy is exchanged. So then the conservation of momentum still applies, and the only reason for the difference is human error...right?

Well it depends on what you consider the system as. But most likely it is due to error in measurement.

If possible, you could do an energy balance and include friction and see if that will get you what the final velocity is.

1. How does friction impact the momentum equation?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. When a moving object encounters friction, it experiences a decrease in velocity, which results in a decrease in momentum. This decrease in momentum can be explained by adding a friction term to the momentum equation.

2. What is the formula for adding friction to the momentum equation?

The formula for adding friction to the momentum equation is: Ff = -μNv, where Ff is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, N is the normal force, and v is the velocity of the object.

3. How does the coefficient of friction affect the loss of momentum?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the roughness or smoothness of the surface between two objects. A higher coefficient of friction means that there is more resistance to motion, resulting in a greater loss of momentum.

4. Can friction cause a complete loss of momentum?

No, friction cannot cause a complete loss of momentum. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. While friction can cause a decrease in momentum, it cannot completely eliminate it.

5. How do you explain the loss of momentum in real-life scenarios using the friction term in the momentum equation?

In real-life scenarios, the friction term in the momentum equation can be used to explain the decrease in momentum when objects collide or when a moving object encounters resistance from a surface. For example, when a car brakes, the friction between the wheels and the road causes a decrease in velocity and momentum.