Wind Turbine Solidity Issue

In summary, Charlie Seviour has attached an Excel sheet detailing the calculations he used to calculate the optimum solidity for a 6 bladed turbine. He found that the solidity is typically between 7% and 30%.
fugg
Hello. I'm calculating the different parameters of a turbine design but I have some trouble with the solidity. The solidity near the hub exceeds 100%, but is an average of ~27% for a 6 bladed turbine. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience in turbine design and if +100% solidity is normal (i.e. normal for blades to overlap each other near hub) or not. Any help would be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have a little experience in wind turbine design, and no a solidity of greater than 100% is not normal. A wind turbine with 6 blades isn't normal either. Solidity over 10% of the entire turbine is relatively uncommon for most modern HAWTs.

As the blade count increases, the solidity naturally does too. Sorry it wasn't 27% I was thinking of a different figure, but ~12%, which given that a 3 blade turbine would be ~9% seems reasonable. A 6 bladed turbine is indeed not conventional, but noise and tip speed ratio are my priorities hence the blade count.
I'm attaching an Excel sheet detailing the calculations. Am I missing something very obvious? The following equations were used:

Tip Speed Ratio: λ= ΩR/U, at distance r: λ_r=λ r/R
Angle of relative wind: φ= 2/3 〖tan〗^(-1) 1/λ_r
Local cord length: cl= (8πr/(BC_l ))(1-cosφ)
Optimum solidity for B blade number: σ≅ B/Nπ (N∑(i=1)(cl/R))

N=number of blade sections, 10 in this case.
Doesn't copy very well but you get the idea. I assumed the Coefficient of lift (Cl) to be 1 across the span to make it simple though I don't think it's too much of a stretch?

Attachments

• Excel Turbine Calcs.xls
    31.5 KB · Views: 302
Aww, no one has worked in wind turbine design?

The equations you have listed are correct. It is easy to check your work, just do a few hand calculations to confirm the equations have been properly entered.

As for the results you should get solidity between ~7% (although single blade designs are even less) and ~30%. To check a specific turbine make sure that in the case of a high solidity the tip speed ratio is low and for low solidity the tip speed ratio is high. There are equations for finding the most efficient ratio, but not all turbines are efficient so use this as a guideline and not a rule. To make this simple I have attached a graph of solidity vs tip speed ratio.

www.charlieseviour.co.uk

Attachments

• tsr_vs_solidity.jpg
    tsr_vs_solidity.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 733

1. What is the "solidity issue" in wind turbines?

The solidity issue in wind turbines refers to the ratio of the area of the blades to the area swept by the blades. A high solidity means that the blades are closer together and can cause air to get trapped, reducing the efficiency and power output of the turbine. It is an important factor to consider in wind turbine design.

2. How does the solidity of a wind turbine affect its performance?

The solidity of a wind turbine directly impacts its performance by affecting the amount of air that can flow through the blades. A higher solidity can result in more air being trapped, reducing the amount of kinetic energy that can be converted into electricity. This can result in lower power output and less efficient operation of the turbine.

3. What is the ideal solidity for a wind turbine?

The ideal solidity for a wind turbine depends on various factors such as wind speed, blade design, and turbine size. Generally, a lower solidity is preferred as it allows for better aerodynamics and higher efficiency. However, the ideal solidity may vary based on the specific conditions and design of the wind turbine.

4. How can the solidity issue be addressed in wind turbine design?

The solidity issue can be addressed in wind turbine design by carefully considering the blade shape, size, and placement. Computer simulations and wind tunnel testing can help optimize the blade design and solidity to maximize performance. Additionally, some turbines use adjustable blades that can be optimized for different wind conditions, helping to mitigate the solidity issue.

5. What are the potential consequences of a high solidity in wind turbines?

A high solidity in wind turbines can have several consequences, including reduced power output, increased wear and tear on the turbine components, and increased noise levels. It can also lead to turbulence and uneven air flow, which can affect the performance of nearby turbines. Therefore, it is important for wind turbine designers to carefully consider the solidity to ensure optimal performance and minimize potential negative effects.