Which is Best for Pursuing a Math or Physics Ph.D: Double Major or Dual Degree?

In summary, a double major in physics and mathematics is the best option for someone who wants to do both subjects.
flyingpig
I am getting a bit confused by the difference.

I plan on studying Math and Physics and I want to do both of them, so if I am unsure whether to go through a Math Ph.D program or Physics Ph.D program, which one should I pursue? A double major or dual degree?

This is the department of Physics in my undergrad, http://www.physics.ubc.ca/undergrad/educate/BEd_BSc_courses.php

But is that the one I should be looking at?

Is "Combined Honors in Mathematics and Physics" the same as a Double Major or a Dual Degree??

I am really confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Serpa said:
The dual degree option that you linked is meant for people who want to teach at a high school level. What you want is a double major in science. You should read http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=12,215,410,1468" page for more information.

What about "Combined Honors"? Why is that different from a Double Major?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say for certain, you should speak with your advisor. I imagine that instead of the two years of lower division, two years of upper division physics, and two years of upper division mathematics for a double major, the combined honors is just less physics and more math.

Serpa said:
I can't say for certain, you should speak with your advisor. I imagine that instead of the two years of lower division, two years of upper division physics, and two years of upper division mathematics for a double major, the combined honors is just less physics and more math.

So then what is my best option? Even though I am undecided on a future Ph.D in Math or Physics, I am getting the feeling that I should go for theoretical physics since I get to do both.

If you're in a hurry to finish undergrad then talk to your advisor and come up with a schedule. Otherwise just take the math and physics classes that interest you and figure out a degree later.

What is the difference between a double major and a dual degree?

A double major involves pursuing two different majors within the same degree program, while a dual degree involves pursuing two separate degree programs simultaneously.

Which option is more beneficial for future career opportunities?

It depends on your career goals and field of study. A double major can provide a more well-rounded education, while a dual degree can offer specialized knowledge in two different areas.

Is it more challenging to complete a double major or a dual degree?

Both options require a significant amount of time and effort, but a dual degree may be more challenging since it involves completing the requirements for two separate degree programs.

Can I switch between a double major and a dual degree during my college years?

It is possible to switch between a double major and a dual degree, but it may require additional coursework and approval from your academic advisor. It is important to carefully consider your options before making a decision.

How will pursuing a double major or a dual degree affect my graduation timeline?

A double major may be completed within the standard four years of undergraduate study, while a dual degree may require an additional year or more. It is important to plan ahead and make sure you can manage the workload and meet all graduation requirements.