Electron and Positron Annihilation

In summary, the problem involves an electron traveling at 0.8c annihilating with a positron at rest, resulting in the production of two photons. One of the photons travels in the direction of the electron. To determine the energy of each photon, we can use the conservation of momentum and energy equations. By solving in the center of mass frame and transforming back, we can find the energy of each photon to be 8.46 x 10^-14 J.
Krappy

Homework Statement

An electron traveling at 0.8c annihilates with a positron that is at rest, producing two photons. One of the produced photons travels in the direction of the electron. Determine the energy of each of the photons.

Homework Equations

[tex]p_{photon} = \frac{E}{c}[/tex]

[tex]P_{electron} = \frac{m_e v}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]p_i = p_f[/tex]

[tex]\frac{m_e v}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} = 2p_{photon}[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{m_e 0.9 c^2}{2 \sqrt{1-0.81}} = 8.46 \times 10^{-14} J[/tex]First of all, I already searched about this frequent topic, but didn't manage to solve the issues. My "issue" is regarding the final momentum. I assume that both photons will have the same momentum, but I don't think that's right.

Thank You ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it isn't right. I suppose you mean you assumed that both photons will have the same magnitude of momentum, though? That's only true if the total momentum is zero. You could analyze the problem in a reference frame where that is true.

Yes, sorry, I meant the same magnitude.

Now I tried to solve this with using both Energy and Momentum conservation and it gave me something like [tex]10^19 eV[/tex]. But I think there's an easier way to solve it. Could you please post your resolution?

Regards

Last edited:
Do you know how to use four-vectors?

Go to the center of mass frame. Solve the problem, and transform back.

1. What is electron-positron annihilation?

Electron-positron annihilation is a process in which an electron and a positron (the antimatter counterpart of an electron) collide and are converted into pure energy in the form of two gamma ray photons.

2. What happens during electron-positron annihilation?

During electron-positron annihilation, the electron and positron annihilate each other, resulting in the production of two gamma ray photons. This process follows the law of conservation of energy, where the total energy before the annihilation must equal the total energy after the annihilation.

3. How is electron-positron annihilation used in science?

Electron-positron annihilation is used in a variety of scientific fields, including particle physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging. In particle physics, it is used to study the properties of particles and to create new particles. In astrophysics, it is used to understand the processes happening in celestial bodies. In medical imaging, it is used in positron emission tomography (PET) scans to detect and image the distribution of positron-emitting substances in the body.

4. Is electron-positron annihilation a reversible process?

No, electron-positron annihilation is not a reversible process. The annihilation of an electron and positron results in the complete conversion of their mass into energy, which cannot be reversed.

5. Can electron-positron annihilation occur spontaneously?

No, electron-positron annihilation cannot occur spontaneously. It requires the presence of both an electron and a positron, which have opposite charges, in order for annihilation to occur. Additionally, the particles must have enough energy to overcome their mutual repulsion and collide with each other.