Lie algebra of the diffeomorphism group of a manifold.

In summary, the Lie algebra of the diffeomorphism group of a manifold M is identifiable with the Lie algebra of all vector fields on M. The map ρ is surjective, but showing injectivity is challenging. The correspondence between Lie(Diff(M)) and Vect(M) can be seen through the fact that the diffeomorphism group is generated by infinitesimal diffeomorphisms, which are vector fields. However, this may not hold for diffeomorphisms that are not generated by vector fields. Additionally, for the vector fields to be complete, M must be compact. It is possible for there to be diffeomorphisms that are not the result of following a flow, but at the infinitesimal level
eok20
I have seen it mentioned in various places that the Lie algebra of the diffeomorphism group of a manifold M is identifiable with the Lie algebra of all vector fields on M, but I have not found a demonstration of this. I can show that the map

[tex] \rho: Lie(Diff(M)) \to Vect(M), ~~~ \rho(X)_p = \frac{d}{dt}\vert_{t=0} \exp(tX) \cdot p[/tex]

is surjective but am having difficulty showing injectivity. Here Vect(M) is vector fields on M, p is in M and . denotes the action of Diff(M) on M. Is this even the right way to see the correspondence between Lie(Diff(M)) and Vect(M)?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The diffeomorphism group is generated by the infinitesimal diffeomorphisms, and the infinitesimal diffeomorphisms are vector fields.

Ah, I think I was being dense: the Lie algebra of a Lie group is identifiable with one-parameter subgroups. But vector fields correspond to one-parameter subgroups of diffeomorphisms, so vector fields correspond to the Lie algebra of the diffeomorphism group.

Are we specifying that M is compact here?

A naive question: clearly there are diffeomorphisms that are not generated by vector fields Are you excluding these?

zhentil said:
Are we specifying that M is compact here?

I guess so, as we need that for the vector fields to be complete.

lavinia said:
A naive question: clearly there are diffeomorphisms that are not generated by vector fields Are you excluding these?

Maybe there are diffeomorphisms not generated by vector fields but the diffeomorphism group doesn't correspond to vector fields, its Lie algebra does (since its Lie algebra is identifiable with one parameter subgroups, all of which are generated by vector fields).

Actually, is it the case that there are always diffeomorphisms that aren't the result of following a flow?

eok20 said:
Maybe there are diffeomorphisms not generated by vector fields but the diffeomorphism group doesn't correspond to vector fields, its Lie algebra does (since its Lie algebra is identifiable with one parameter subgroups, all of which are generated by vector fields).

Actually, is it the case that there are always diffeomorphisms that aren't the result of following a flow?
What's the flow associated to reflection of R^2 in the x-axis?

But I think the general flavor of this is that we want to say that if two diffeomorphisms are close enough, they're isotopic, and hence they're isotopic through the flow of a time-dependent vector field. At the infinitesimal level, this corresponds to a vector field.

1. What is the diffeomorphism group of a manifold?

The diffeomorphism group of a manifold is the set of all smooth, invertible maps from the manifold to itself. These maps preserve the smooth structure of the manifold, meaning that they preserve the ability to take derivatives and perform other smooth operations.

2. What is a Lie algebra?

A Lie algebra is a mathematical structure that describes the algebraic properties of a Lie group. It is a vector space equipped with a binary operation called the Lie bracket, which measures the failure of two vector fields to commute with each other.

3. How is the Lie algebra of the diffeomorphism group of a manifold related to the manifold itself?

The Lie algebra of the diffeomorphism group of a manifold is a vector space whose elements are infinitesimal generators of the diffeomorphisms on the manifold. These infinitesimal generators can be thought of as "directions" in which the manifold can be smoothly deformed.

4. What is the significance of the Lie algebra of the diffeomorphism group in physics?

In physics, the diffeomorphism group plays a crucial role in describing the symmetries of spacetime. The Lie algebra of this group is related to the concept of conserved quantities, known as Noether charges, which are important in understanding the dynamics of physical systems.

5. How is the Lie algebra of the diffeomorphism group used in practical applications?

The Lie algebra of the diffeomorphism group has a wide range of applications, including in the study of differential equations, control theory, and fluid mechanics. It is also used in the field of geometric mechanics to study the dynamics of mechanical systems on curved manifolds.