Probability of meeting someone between two times of day, within a predefined time?

In summary, two people agree to meet between 2 and 4 pm with the understanding that each will wait no longer than 15 minutes for the other. The probability that they will meet can be found by dividing the area of the region where their arrival times differ by less than 15 minutes by the total area of the region from 2 to 4 pm. This can be represented by the equation P = Area(A)/Area(R).
moonman239
Two people agree to meet between 2 and 4 pm, with the understanding that each will wait no longer than 15 minutes for the other. What is the probability that they will meet? (This is NOT homework) The book I borrowed has the equation but I don't have it in front of me right now. Plus, the equation seems complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Here's my amateur approach to a solution: P(not arriving within 15 minutes of each other) = (8-2+1)/8

Moderator's note: thread moved from Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics.

Our policy on "Homework Help" applies to any textbook-style problem, whether it's for an actual course or just independent study.

Think geometrically. Let the x-axis from 2 to 4 indicate when person 1 might arrive, and let the y-axis from 2 to 4 indicate when person 2 might arrive. Any point in that rectangle is a possibility. What is the area in which they successfully meet?

What is the area in which they successfully meet?
What do you mean by that?

Never mind, I found it.

Could you please explain the solution in pre-algebraic terms?

Think about it in this way, the two people can come at any time between 2 to 4. We can write these two times down as an ordered pair (x,y), with 2 ≤ x,y ≤ 4. The first coordinate is the time at which the first person arrives; the second coordinate is the time at which the second person arrives. Any such point in that region (call it R) is equally likely. Here, we are treating time as completely continuous, which is not a bad approximation.

Now, find the ordered pairs inside this region for which the coordinates differ by less than 15 minutes (i.e. 0.25 hours). (Hint: inequalities). The two people will meet in this region (call it A). You are looking for the probability that, upon throwing a dart at R, the dart lands in A. Convince yourself that this is given by Area(A)/Area(R).

1. What is the probability of meeting someone between two times of day?

The probability of meeting someone between two times of day depends on various factors such as the population size, location, and time of day. It is difficult to determine an exact probability without specific information.

2. How can we calculate the probability of meeting someone within a predefined time?

To calculate the probability of meeting someone within a predefined time, we need to know the total number of people in the given location, the time period in which we want to calculate the probability, and the frequency of interactions between people in that location.

3. Is it possible to predict the probability of meeting someone based on past data?

Yes, it is possible to predict the probability of meeting someone based on past data. By analyzing data on population size and frequency of interactions in a specific location, we can make a reasonable estimation of the probability.

4. Does the probability of meeting someone change throughout the day?

Yes, the probability of meeting someone can change throughout the day. It may be higher during peak hours when more people are out and about, and lower during off-peak hours when there are fewer people around.

5. How can we increase the chances of meeting someone within a predefined time?

The chances of meeting someone within a predefined time can be increased by going to places with higher foot traffic, attending events or social gatherings, and actively seeking out opportunities to interact with people. Additionally, having a positive and friendly attitude can also increase the likelihood of meeting someone new.