Continuity of piecewise function f(x,y)

In summary: Your approach for Q2 is mostly correct, but you need to be more rigorous and precise in your explanation. As for Q1, you need to use the fact that the function has two definitions, one for points on the circle and one for points inside the circle. You also need to use the fact that the function is continuous at points where the two definitions agree. Use polar coordinates to help you with the calculations.
jwxie

Homework Statement

Determine all points at which the given function is continuous.

For practice, I want to verify the continuity. Moreover, with piecewise function, I have to verify continuity anyway.

Q1
jl432g.gif

Q2
2dk9tee.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's do the second problem first.
For Q2, we have x =/= y for the first condition, whereas if x = y, we let f(x,y) = 2x.
So to check continuity, we would have to make sure
(1) f(a) is defined,
(2) limit as x goes to a exists, and
(3) f(a) = limit as x goes to a

The piecewise function proved that f(a) is defined for x = y, then we have 2x (for an arbitrary number, possible).

Then I did limit.
limit as y goes to (x = y), we get x^2 - y^2/ x - y, after simplification, we had (x +y) remained. Substituted y = x, we have x+x, so the limit is 2x.

Indeed, f(x=y) = 2x = limit as y goes to x=y
This problem required no squeeze theorem because simplification and substitution worked.

For the first problem, I attempted a few ways.
We know #1 is true, when x^2+y = 1, we have to have f(x,y) = 1.
So I tried to find its limit and see if it would come out to be 1.

So I took limit of the first function. I can't simplify it, so I am down with squeeze theorem and path methods. But I was confused what limit to take. I tried to eliminate one of the parameter, and did L'hospital rule. This allowed me to take the derivative of sin^1/2(...) which would put its derivative with a -1/2 power. Thus I had

-2y (sqrt(1-x^2-y^2)) / -2y cos(1-x^2-y^2) , and cancel -2y.
But I am stuck. If I did x^2 + y^2 = 1 and solve for x (or y), and plug it in, I would always get -x^2 or -y^2 inside the square root, which is not right...Please tell me whether my approach for Q2 was right, and how to solve for Q1. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It helps to know that [itex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{sin(x)}{x}= 1[/itex]

jwxie said:

Homework Statement

Determine all points at which the given function is continuous.

For practice, I want to verify the continuity. Moreover, with piecewise function, I have to verify continuity anyway.

Q1
jl432g.gif

Q2
2dk9tee.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's do the second problem first.
For Q2, we have x =/= y for the first condition, whereas if x = y, we let f(x,y) = 2x.
So to check continuity, we would have to make sure
(1) f(a) is defined,
(2) limit as x goes to a exists, and
(3) f(a) = limit as x goes to a

The piecewise function proved that f(a) is defined for x = y, then we have 2x (for an arbitrary number, possible).

Then I did limit.
limit as y goes to (x = y), we get x^2 - y^2/ x - y, after simplification, we had (x +y) remained. Substituted y = x, we have x+x, so the limit is 2x.

Indeed, f(x=y) = 2x = limit as y goes to x=y
This problem required no squeeze theorem because simplification and substitution worked.
You have the basic idea, but you're being sloppy in your explanation. For example,
  • f(a) - the function has two variables, not one, so f(a) is meaningless in this problem.
  • limit as y goes to (x = y) - I get what you're trying to say, but you're not saying it very well.
The function z = f(x, y) is defined in a piecewise fashion, with one definition for points along the line x = y, and the other for all other points in the plane. Your limit should start off looking like this:
[tex]\lim_{(x, y) \to (a, b)} f(x, y)[/tex]

The limit can be written more simply for points on the line y = x.
jwxie said:
For the first problem, I attempted a few ways.
We know #1 is true, when x^2+y = 1, we have to have f(x,y) = 1.
Typo here. When x^2 + y^2 = 1, f(x, y) is defined to be equal to 1.
jwxie said:
So I tried to find its limit and see if it would come out to be 1.

So I took limit of the first function. I can't simplify it, so I am down with squeeze theorem and path methods. But I was confused what limit to take. I tried to eliminate one of the parameter, and did L'hospital rule. This allowed me to take the derivative of sin^1/2(...) which would put its derivative with a -1/2 power. Thus I had

-2y (sqrt(1-x^2-y^2)) / -2y cos(1-x^2-y^2) , and cancel -2y.
? The function is sin(sqrt(1 - x^2 - y^2)). Where did the sin go?

Also, you can't just "take the derivative" - this is a function of two variables. You would have to take the partial derivative with respect to either x or y.

Note that your function has two definitions: one for points on the circle x^2 + y^2 + 1, and the other for points inside that circle. That circle can be represented in polar form very simply, and that will help you do what you need to do.
jwxie said:
But I am stuck. If I did x^2 + y^2 = 1 and solve for x (or y), and plug it in, I would always get -x^2 or -y^2 inside the square root, which is not right...

Please tell me whether my approach for Q2 was right, and how to solve for Q1. Thank you.

What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by different expressions or rules for different parts of its domain. This means that the function is not represented by a single equation, but rather by multiple equations that are valid for different intervals of the domain.

What is continuity?

Continuity is a property of a function that describes how smoothly it can be graphed without any breaks or interruptions. A function is continuous if its graph can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper. In other words, there are no gaps, holes, or jumps in the graph.

How is continuity related to piecewise functions?

Piecewise functions can be continuous or discontinuous, depending on the behavior of the function at the points where the pieces meet. If the pieces of the function are joined smoothly with no gaps or breaks, then the function is continuous. However, if there is a sudden change or discontinuity at the points where the pieces meet, then the function is not continuous.

Can a piecewise function be continuous at a specific point?

Yes, it is possible for a piecewise function to be continuous at a specific point. This means that the function is continuous at that point, even if it is discontinuous at other points. This can happen if the different pieces of the function are joined smoothly at that specific point.

How can I determine if a piecewise function is continuous?

To determine if a piecewise function is continuous, you need to check for continuity at all the points where the pieces of the function meet. This means looking for any sudden changes or breaks in the graph at these points. If there are no discontinuities, then the function is continuous. However, if there are any gaps or jumps in the graph, then the function is not continuous.