Finishing your graduate school application early vs. general GRE score

In summary, the verbal GRE is not as important as some people might think. It is not the deciding factor for getting into graduate school.
alemsalem
Hi :)
i can finish my application by mid September but i will not have enough time to prepare for the verbal section of the GRE, how important is it? should i take an extra month to prepare for it ?
how important is finishing an application early for graduate schools?
some schools don't look at your application until it's all done, could i finish everything else and do the general GRE later??

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I submitted pretty much all my applications on the deadline. It turned out fine. I don't really see why schools would care about that, what's the point of a deadline if they don't want you to use it? haha

I wouldn't worry about the verbal GRE too much. I mean you don't want to bomb it. But if you can write a really good personal statement that shows you can write well, then it seems to me that covers the important part of your verbal ability anyway.

You should not spend a month studying for the verbal part of the GRE. I would say a week of occasional studying is appropriate; it is what I did. I am starting grad school in the fall. The important thing is the PGRE, which I imagine you already know.

It's a funny loophole, at some schools you can be accepted into an applied physics program without taking the physics GRE, if you are claiming to be interested in materials science. Materials science comes in the applied physics department, but since matsci's haven't done much physics, they can't expect you to take the exam. Obviously once you're in the department you're no different than anyone else though.

yeah i think it's not all that important, but how much is enough should it be more than 500 or 400.

yeah i think it's not all that important,, but how much should be above 400, 500 hundred i guess that's how much i might get,, I'm an American-Jordanian i studied physics in Jordan does that count for something??

1. Should I aim to finish my graduate school application early or focus on getting a higher GRE score?

It ultimately depends on your priorities and the requirements of the graduate program you are applying to. Some programs may have early application deadlines that give you a better chance of getting accepted, while others may place more emphasis on a high GRE score. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in and make a decision based on that.

2. Can finishing my graduate school application early increase my chances of getting accepted?

In some cases, yes. Some programs have rolling admissions, meaning they review and accept applicants as they receive their applications. This means that applying early can give you an advantage as there are more available spots. However, this may not be the case for all programs, so it is important to do your research and see if applying early can benefit you.

3. Is it better to have a high GRE score or finish my application early?

Both aspects are important in the admissions process, so it is difficult to say which one is better. A high GRE score can demonstrate your academic abilities and potential for success in graduate school, while finishing your application early shows your organization and commitment to the program. It is important to find a balance and prioritize based on the requirements of the programs you are interested in.

4. Is it possible to do both - finish my application early and get a high GRE score?

Yes, it is possible to do both. However, it may require diligent time management and a strong understanding of your priorities. It is important to plan ahead and set a realistic timeline for yourself to achieve both goals. Additionally, seeking guidance from mentors or advisors can also help you strategize and achieve both goals successfully.

5. Will finishing my application early make a significant difference in the admissions process?

It depends on the program and their admissions process. Some programs may prioritize early applicants, while others may not consider it a significant factor. However, finishing your application early can give you peace of mind and potentially avoid any last-minute stress or technical difficulties. It is always good to plan ahead and submit your application early if possible.