Optics thought experiment and 2nd law of thermodynamics

In summary, two people are standing in separate rooms separated by a window with different refractive indices. They both radiate electromagnetic waves with power, but the calculations show that more radiation is transmitted from one room to the other. However, this does not violate the second law of thermodynamics as the transfer of energy is not unidirectional and the cold room and hot room radiate into each other equally. Therefore, the cold room does not get colder and the hot room does not get hotter, as this would contradict the second law. The mistake in the calculation may be due to simplifications in Fresnel's Equations or the creation of a junction that balances the asymmetry.
theDoc
Imagine a closed isolated system consisting of 2 rooms separated by a window. The window is built with one layer of material that has refractive index 1.5 and one layer of material that has refractive index 2, for a wide range of wavelenghts (say 1 [tex]\mu[/tex] m - 50 [tex]\mu[/tex] m), and low absorption. The side with lower refractive index is in room A, the side with higher refractive index is in room B. Alice is standing in room A and Bob is standing in room B.
Alice and Bob radiate electromagnetic waves with power [tex]\sigma A T^4 [/tex] (Stefan–Boltzmann law) with wavelengths almost entirely in the range 1 [tex]\mu[/tex] m - 50 [tex]\mu[/tex] m (Planck's law). An easy calculation using Fresnel equations shows that more radiation is transmitted through the window from room A to room B than from room B to room A. So Alice should get colder and Bob warmer. Where is the mistake?

Science news on Phys.org
Andy: It's been calculated by Lord Rayleigh in 1880
http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v1/n3/full/nphoton.2007.26.html
and the calculation is really straightforward. The formulas are in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations
It is well known that a gradient of increasing refractive indices let's more light through than
going directly to a high refractive index.
One-way mirrors have no built-in asymmetry, and that is the reason why they are not real one-way mirrors.
Real one-way mirrors might be impossible to build because they would contradict the 2nd law of thermodynamics (which has never been done). For the same reason: either 1) my experiment doesn't work or 2) the 2nd law of thermodynamics is not always true.
I was hoping for an answer other than it's number 1 because it's not number 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive me, I am a little slow...

How does this violate the 2nd law?

Academic said:
How does this violate the 2nd law?
Because it generates order - and you could put a stirling engine between the two rooms and generate free energy for ever.

Free energy? It requires the Alice and Bob to radiate though. I could use that radiation directly and do work.

Also, it generates order? So the entropy of the two rooms, alice and bob after radiating is lower than the entropy of the two rooms, alice and bob before radiating? Intuitively I would think the opposite...

Last edited:
For those who are shaky on what's being described: Fresnel's Equations describe the transmission (or reflection) of EM radiation between materials of different refractive indices, as a function of angle and polarization. For example, the transmission of a beam perpendicular to the interface is predicted to be

[tex]\frac{2n_1}{n_1+n_2}[/tex]

when moving from material 1 to 2 and

[tex]\frac{2n_2}{n_1+n_2}[/tex]

when moving from material 2 to 1. I believe theDoc is asking essentially why a temperature difference wouldn't develop between two transparent materials (with difference refractive indices) that were originally at the same temperature. The difference would be sustained by this imbalance in energy transfer.

I am also interested in hearing the resolution. Perhaps a junction is created, analogous to the PN junction in electronics, where thermal conduction balances the asymmetry? Or perhaps one of the simplifications involved in deriving Fresnel's Laws is leading to an apparent paradox? I don't know.

Ah- I see.

The question can be resolved by considering, not the transmission of the field amplitude, but the transmission of *energy* (intensity or power), this is given by (for normal incidence):

T = t^2 *(n_i/n_t)

http://www.inyourfacefotos.com/fresnel.htm

The power transmission is symmetric: there is no imbalance in energy transfer.

Andy Resnick said:
Ah- I see.

The question can be resolved by considering, not the transmission of the field amplitude, but the transmission of *energy* (intensity or power), this is given by (for normal incidence):

T = t^2 *(n_i/n_t)

I don't follow this. T is the power transmission? And t the field? The link you posted seems to say that T = t^2, which is what I would expect...

T is the transmission of the intensity, 't' the transmission of the field.

That's not what the link says. The same formula is written on the wiki page (halfway down) as well.

Edit: on the link I posted, the text just above the equation is correct. The equation itself appears to be misprinted.

Im still confused...

I don't see the discrepancy here. Could somebody walk me through this. So two people emit EM radiation, and one room gets hotter than the other. So what? Thats not order being created, that doesn't violate the second law. If I put two light bulbs in two rooms and turn them on, one room gets hotter than the other - but entropy has still increased.

Academic said:
Im still confused...

I don't see the discrepancy here. Could somebody walk me through this. So two people emit EM radiation, and one room gets hotter than the other. So what? Thats not order being created, that doesn't violate the second law. If I put two light bulbs in two rooms and turn them on, one room gets hotter than the other - but entropy has still increased.

The OP invented a scenario where it appears that a cold room could radiate into a hot room but not vice-versa, thus making the cold room colder. This would violate the second law of thermodynamics.

I showed that the transfer of energy is not unidirectional: the cold room and hot room radiate into each other equally, which warms the cold room in accordance with the second law.

theDoc said:
Andy: It's been calculated by Lord Rayleigh in 1880
http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v1/n3/full/nphoton.2007.26.html
and the calculation is really straightforward. The formulas are in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations
It is well known that a gradient of increasing refractive indices let's more light through than
going directly to a high refractive index.
None of these links seem to talk about the issue at hand: the net transmission of light going in one direction vs. in the reverse direction. I could only see the abstract for the Nature article, but it discusses the graded index case, i.e. a continuous change in n. But we are talking about discrete changes in the index, from 1 to 1.5 to 2 to 1.

Calculating the transmission for multiple layers is rather tricky, as you need to consider multiple reflections within the two materials even if you are neglecting interference effects. To really settle the matter, somebody will have to do the calculation for the OP's example:
n=1 | n=1.5 | n=2 | n=1​
If I can find the time this weekend, I may try to produce actual numbers for this example. But others should feel free to jump in and do it, as I am not making any promises here.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to wikipedia, the fraction of power that is transmitted doesn't depend on which side the radiation is coming from:
[tex]1-\left(\frac{n_1-n_2}{n_1+n_2}\right) ^2[/tex]
(Would the OP detail exactly how they obtain equations which say otherwise? Strictly we should be considering extra details of the situation, like integrating over all directions and polarisations, and accounting for the temperature of the window, but I won't bother before I see that there's any paradox to resolve in the first place.. I see now, this is also what Andy was referring to.)

Last edited:
Andy Resnick said:
Ah- I see.

T = t^2 *(n_i/n_t)

Makes sense, thanks!

you guys are right, my mistake: the transmission is symmetric.
It's not so simple to build something with asymmetric transmission, but maybe possible:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1005.1970

1. What is the "Optics thought experiment"?

The Optics thought experiment is a hypothetical scenario that was first proposed by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century. It involves a box with a small hole on one side and a mirror on the opposite side. Light enters through the hole and reflects off the mirror, creating a random pattern on the walls of the box.

2. How does this thought experiment relate to the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that in a closed system, the total entropy (or disorder) will always increase over time. In the Optics thought experiment, the initial state of the box with a concentrated beam of light is a low entropy state. However, as the light reflects off the walls, it creates a more disordered and random pattern, increasing the entropy of the system.

3. Can you explain the concept of entropy in more detail?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic quantity that describes the distribution of energy within a system. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how spread out or evenly distributed the energy is within a system. The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that the natural direction of energy flow is from a concentrated, ordered state to a more dispersed, disordered state, increasing the overall entropy of the system.

4. How does this thought experiment demonstrate the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

The Optics thought experiment shows that even in a seemingly simple and ordered system, such as a box with a concentrated beam of light, the 2nd law of thermodynamics still holds true. As the light reflects off the walls of the box, it creates a more random and disordered pattern, increasing the entropy of the system. This demonstrates that even in isolated systems, entropy will always increase over time.

5. Is this thought experiment applicable to real-life situations?

While the Optics thought experiment is a theoretical scenario, it does have real-life applications. It can be used to explain concepts such as heat transfer, diffusion, and the behavior of gases. The 2nd law of thermodynamics is also applicable in various fields, including biology, chemistry, and engineering, making this thought experiment relevant in understanding these complex systems.