Synchronous Generator Power factor

In summary, the conversation is about designing a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator (PMSG) for a Wind turbine application. The generator is of direct drive (DD) type and has a low frequency output, so a converter inverter pair is used to improve the frequency. The speaker is trying to figure out how to calculate the power factor (PF) of the PMSG, as it is not directly connected to the load. They are looking for equations or research papers to help them determine the PF. One person suggests using high speed rectifiers and a boost converter, while another person provides information on calculating the power factor for a three-phase bridge and resistive load.
bhavi
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask a little help from you guys. I am designing a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator (PMSG) for a Wind turbine application which is of direct drive (DD) type. Being a DD type PMSG the frequency of the output is very low and hence I had to employ converter Inverter pair to improve the frequency. Now, how do I calculate the power factor (PF) of the PMSG? As the PMSG is not directly connected to the load, I believe that the PF does not depend on the load nature. Can someone help me by providing any equations or any research papers and any other material that can help me finding out the PF of the PMSG.

Thank you very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello,

Mike here. I used to design BLDC motor drives. Generally, we'd fall with one of two windings, trapezoidal BEMF and sinusoidal BEMF. I were making a generator, I'd certainly prefer the prior, because the current can fairly be steady through each phase pair, and you'll get good conversion because the BEMF is likewise flat.

In fact, I'd simply use a high speed rectifiers in a three phase bridge directly off the motor phases and boost convert it to your link voltage using a single IGBT/FET. Easy cheesy and no complex commutation to work out. :)

- Mike

Mike_In_Plano said:
Hello,

Mike here. I used to design BLDC motor drives. Generally, we'd fall with one of two windings, trapezoidal BEMF and sinusoidal BEMF. I were making a generator, I'd certainly prefer the prior, because the current can fairly be steady through each phase pair, and you'll get good conversion because the BEMF is likewise flat.

In fact, I'd simply use a high speed rectifiers in a three phase bridge directly off the motor phases and boost convert it to your link voltage using a single IGBT/FET. Easy cheesy and no complex commutation to work out. :)

- Mike

Thank you for the quick reply Mike. But I don't really think you got my question or may be I am unable to understand your answer. I was actually asking how to find out the Generator's power factor. Generally, the power factor of the generator is decided by the type of the load connected to it. But in my case I have a set of converter inverter connected in between the generator and the load and hence the type of the load does not affect the power factor in the generator. So I am trying to find out the way to know the power factor in the generator. Thanks once again for your time.

For Three-Phase Bridge and resitive load
Generator RMS volts line-to-line=0.740 X Average dc voltage output
Generator RMS line current=0.816 X Average dc output current

Above from Reference Data for Radio Engineers 5th Edition
Above was for transformers, but also apply to generators

Current is distorted so power factor doesn't apply.
The KVA of the transformer/gererator is 1.05 X the KW of the load.
The preceding neglects the voltage drop of the diodes.

What is a synchronous generator power factor?

A synchronous generator power factor is a measure of the ratio between the real power (or active power) and the apparent power in an AC circuit. It indicates the efficiency of the generator in converting mechanical energy into electrical energy.

What is the significance of a high or low power factor in a synchronous generator?

A high power factor indicates that the generator is operating efficiently, with a minimal amount of reactive power (or non-working power) being produced. A low power factor, on the other hand, indicates that the generator is not operating at its full capacity and may be producing excess reactive power.

How does power factor affect the performance of a synchronous generator?

A low power factor can result in voltage drops and overheating of equipment, leading to potential damage and decreased efficiency. A high power factor ensures that the generator is operating efficiently and can handle higher loads without any adverse effects.

How can the power factor of a synchronous generator be improved?

The power factor of a synchronous generator can be improved by installing capacitors in the circuit, which can help balance out the reactive power and increase the power factor. Regular maintenance and tuning of the generator can also ensure that it is operating at its optimal power factor.

What are some common causes of a low power factor in a synchronous generator?

A low power factor in a synchronous generator can be caused by factors such as inductive loads (e.g. motors), unbalanced loads, or improper sizing of the generator relative to the load. Faulty equipment or wiring can also contribute to a low power factor.