How to learn electronics as a hobby?

IC's.In summary, to learn about circuits and electrical engineering as a hobby, it is recommended to invest in a soldering iron and practice soldering, purchase additional hardware like breadboards and wire clippers, and subscribe to magazines or purchase books that provide schematics and explanations of components. It is also suggested to start with simple projects and kits and learn the function of basic components like resistors, capacitors, and transistors. It is not necessary to understand Maxwell's equations for low-speed circuit design, and it is recommended to stay away from high-voltage projects for safety purposes. Instead, using a
Clay
I'm quite interested in electronics, circuits, etc... after my brief introduction to them in Physics class. I'd really like to take the time, as a hobby, to learn how to design and create circuits that will perform simple tasks --> eventually graduating to more difficult design.

Does anybody have suggestions about what I should do to learn this? Are there any good books available that are must reads? Would a class at a university be useful in this regard? What's the best strategy for learning circuits/electrical engineering as a hobby? Thanks for any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll probably find a good selection of books on practice at an electronic parts store, the kind that caters to hobbyists. On the theory side learn Maxwell's Equations, you can understand simple circuits without them but knowing them will make it much easier to comprehend electronics in general.

Start messing around with the kit projects from electronics shops.

Greetings, Clay !
Originally posted by Clay
I'm quite interested in electronics, circuits, etc... after my brief introduction to them in Physics class. I'd really like to take the time, as a hobby, to learn how to design and create circuits that will perform simple tasks --> eventually graduating to more difficult design.
Excellent.
Does anybody have suggestions about what I should do to learn this?
Yes, I’ll get to it later.
Are there any good books available that are must reads?
All of ‘em
Would a class at a university be useful in this regard?
Definitely. If you are unsure what classes to take, butter up to the engineering dept. head and present him with your situation and interests so he can advise you.
What's the best strategy for learning circuits/electrical engineering as a hobby?
1) Invest in a soldering iron and practice soldering until it becomes second nature.
2) Get some more hardware like breadboards, wire clippers, etc.
3) Subscribe to magazines, or purchase books, that not only provide you with schematics for simple circuitry, but also take you on a component walk-through, explaining the purpose for each part. You can likely find the books advertised in the magazines.
4) Consider beginning your adventure by becoming a kit builder. Many kits not only provide you with all the parts, but also provide that walk-through I mentioned. Remember, it’s not the complexity of some grandiose kit you’re looking for, but a simple circuit that will provide you with (hopefully) some practical use (to make it all feel more rewarding and enjoyable) and a detailed understanding of what is going on. For example, there are many dozens of projects you could make using simple resistor, diode, and LED circuits containing a total of only a few components. Keep it simple, understand what’s happening, but above all else keep on doing it because that’s how you learn.

Happy hobbying !

If you're going to a university there is probably an electronics shop on campus. Ask them if they could use a student worker.

Originally posted by Tyger
You'll probably find a good selection of books on practice at an electronic parts store, the kind that caters to hobbyists. On the theory side learn Maxwell's Equations, you can understand simple circuits without them but knowing them will make it much easier to comprehend electronics in general.
Humm... No!

I was a trained and respected Electronics Technician long before I ever heard of Maxwells equations. When I did learn them I barely recognixed the connection between the practical electronics I was taught in the Navy and the fundmental physics of Maxwell.

More on topic.

Get yourself a multimeter, Radioshack has them in a range of prices, they can also be found dirt cheap in may tool stores. Spent a bit of your time with Ohms law and a few resistors learning the relationship between DC current and voltage. Besure to include in your reading books and articals about basic DC and AC circiuts. One of your first projects should be a DC power supply. Find something that will provide a range of fixed voltages (+/- 12VDC and +/-5VDC as a bare minimum).
Learn the function of each of the basic components, resistor, capacitor, inductor, diode and transistor,

When assembling kits make an effort to understand the function of the circiuts you are builting, learn to read and understand the schematic diagrames, these are the roadmaps of the circiut.

Do not expect to become an expert overnight. The military spends 6 months of 8hr days 5 days a week teaching this basic material. (there are no fru-fru courses!)

Good luck and have fun!

Originally posted by Integral
I was a trained and respected Electronics Technician long before I ever heard of Maxwells equations. When I did learn them I barely recognixed the connection between the practical electronics I was taught in the Navy and the fundmental physics of Maxwell.
I agree. Maxwell's equations are almost completely useless in low-speed circuit design. For the kind of circuitry you're going to build on bread-board and copper-clad, Maxwell's equations will not be useful in the slightest.
Get yourself a multimeter, Radioshack has them in a range of prices, they can also be found dirt cheap in may tool stores. Spent a bit of your time with Ohms law and a few resistors learning the relationship between DC current and voltage. Besure to include in your reading books and articals about basic DC and AC circiuts.
I agree.
One of your first projects should be a DC power supply. Find something that will provide a range of fixed voltages (+/- 12VDC and +/-5VDC as a bare minimum).
I disagree. I would suggest that a neophyte stay a long, long way away from mains voltages due to the inherent dangers. Instead, just purchase a decent little "wall wart" AC-DC converter and use that to power your (low-voltage) circuits.

Some of the most basic analog circuits that you can assemble from discrete components are simple single-transistor audio amplifiers; some of the most basic digital circuits are, for example, ripple-carry adders.

- Warren

For starters, the "Getting Started in Electronics" book at Radio Shack will have you building circuits in an hour. Really they have a nifty line of cheap books for 555 timer projects, simple gate logic and op amps circuits, as well as some practical things. These give you some great hands on with projects that are safe and fun. Of course this is no substitute for the respective theory of operation. Radio Shack books help you to build simple circuits; they say very little about the theory.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Integral
Learn the function of each of the basic components, resistor, capacitor, inductor, diode and transistor,

When assembling kits make an effort to understand the function of the circiuts you are builting, learn to read and understand the schematic diagrames, these are the roadmaps of the circiut.
I would additionally stress that ability to understanding schematics is most important checkpoint in your progress. There are many ways how to do same thing, and schematics encode (like equations in math) ways of doing it. While trying to understand some schematics, you'd ask yourself why its done this way and not other way, and learn about workings of components to realize benefits or drawback of given scheme, and selection of components.
I started with analog amps with goal to build hifi amplifiers, both highpower and very low signal amps. On the way I learned enormous amounts of schematics and principles.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've taught myself some different, but complex stuff before, like SQL, database normalization/design, some programming, game theory, etc... so I am at least familiar with the idea of having a hill to climb to understand what is going on. I'm interested in tackling the challenge. As you have all pointed out, I'm most concerned that these kits that are available will have me building circuits without understanding why I'm doing what I'm doing. If I just want to solder, I can make jewelry! :wink: Anyhow, I have to get through my organic chemistry and physics this summer before I can think of anything else, really. Don't worry! I'll certainly be back with more questions!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Clay

Originally posted by chroot
I agree. Maxwell's equations are almost completely useless in low-speed circuit design. For the kind of circuitry you're going to build on bread-board and copper-clad, Maxwell's equations will not be useful in the slightest.

- Warren

I'm presuming that Clay wants to develope an understanding for electromagnetism along with his soldering and other circuit skills. I knew Maxwell's equations before I developed any electronic skills and that helped me understand how an inductor works, how an antenna works, etc., but it also allowed me to learn about practice and theory together.

Learn Electronics as a Hobby

Learning electronics as a hobby can be a rewarding and enjoyable experience. It allows you to explore the world of circuits, components, and technology. Here are some common questions related to learning electronics as a hobby:

Q1: Why Learn Electronics as a Hobby?

Learning electronics as a hobby offers several benefits, including:

• **Creativity:** It provides an outlet for creativity, allowing you to build and design your electronic projects.
  • **Problem-Solving:** Electronics hobbyists develop strong problem-solving skills by troubleshooting and repairing circuits.
  • **Understanding Technology:** You gain a deeper understanding of how electronic devices work, which can be applied to everyday life.
  • **Fun and Satisfaction:** Building electronic projects can be a fun and satisfying way to spend your free time.
Whether you want to create gadgets, explore robotics, or simply understand the technology around you, learning electronics is a fulfilling hobby.

Q2: Where Should I Start Learning Electronics?

If you're new to electronics, start with the basics:

• **Theory:** Begin with the fundamental principles of electronics, such as Ohm's law, voltage, current, and resistance. You can find online tutorials, textbooks, or courses to help you grasp these concepts.
  • **Components:** Familiarize yourself with common electronic components like resistors, capacitors, diodes, and transistors. Learn how to identify them and understand their functions.
  • **Tools:** Acquire basic tools such as a soldering iron, multimeter, and a breadboard for prototyping.
  • **Projects:** Start with simple projects like LED blinking circuits or building a basic power supply. Online resources and kits are available for beginners.
Building a strong foundation is essential before moving on to more complex projects.

Q3: Are Online Resources Helpful for Learning Electronics?

Yes, online resources are valuable for learning electronics as a hobby. There are numerous websites, forums, YouTube channels, and online courses dedicated to electronics. These resources offer tutorials, project guides, and communities where you can ask questions and seek advice. Online learning allows you to progress at your own pace and access a wealth of information.

Q4: Should I Join an Electronics Club or Group?

Joining an electronics club or group can enhance your hobby experience. It provides opportunities to connect with like-minded individuals, share knowledge, collaborate on projects, and participate in group activities. Look for local electronics clubs or online forums and communities to find enthusiasts who can offer guidance and support.

Q5: What Are Some Intermediate and Advanced Electronics Topics to Explore?

Once you've mastered the basics, you can explore more advanced topics in electronics, including:

• **Microcontrollers:** Learn how to program and use microcontrollers like Arduino and Raspberry Pi for more complex projects.
  • **Digital Electronics:** Explore digital logic, binary systems, and digital circuits, including designing your own digital devices.
  • **Analog Electronics:** Dive deeper into analog circuits, amplifiers, oscillators, and filters.
  • **Communication Systems:** Study topics like wireless communication, RF circuits, and antenna design.
  • **Advanced Projects:** Challenge yourself with advanced projects such as robotics, home automation, or IoT devices.
There's a wide range of possibilities to explore based on your interests and goals.

Q6: How Can I Stay Safe While Learning Electronics?

Electronics hobbyists should prioritize safety:

• **Work Area:** Set up a clean and organized workspace with proper lighting and ventilation.
  • **Safety Gear:** Wear safety glasses and appropriate clothing, especially when soldering or handling chemicals.
  • **Electrical Safety:** Ensure that circuits are powered off when making connections or modifications, and be cautious when working with high voltages.
  • **Follow Instructions:** Always follow manufacturer instructions, datasheets, and project guides carefully.
Safety should be a top priority to prevent accidents and ensure a safe and enjoyable hobby experience.

Learning electronics as a hobby is a rewarding journey that offers endless opportunities for creativity and exploration. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced hobbyist, there's always something new to learn and build in the world of electronics.