Gravitational Potential Energy Derivation question?

In summary, the discussion revolves around deriving the gravitational potential energy term, where the force acting on a box is given by \overline{F} \ = \ - \ m \ g. The conversation includes a question about the direction and limits of the integral for the work done by gravity. The summary also includes a specific example of dropping a 10kg box from a height of 10m to 2m, and the resulting calculation for potential energy. The conclusion is reached that the minus sign in the integral must be accounted for when considering the direction of motion.
sponsoredwalk
In deriving the gravitational potential energy term I have a question.

[tex] W \ = \ \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \overline{F}( \overline{r}) \cdot \,d \overline{r} \ = \ \int_{y_1}^{y_2}mg \,dy [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ \int_{y_1}^{y_2}mg\,dy [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ mgy_2 \ - \ mgy_1 [/tex]

[PLAIN]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2303/workvk.jpg

[tex] W \ = \ mgy_2 \ - \ mgy_1 \ = \ U_{grav}_2 \ - \ U_{grav}_1 [/tex]

I think I understand that y2 < y1 and that is the
reason why people write the above as:

[tex] W \ = \ mgy_1 \ - \ mgy_2 \ = \ U_{grav}_1 \ - \ U_{grav}_2 [/tex]

but is it such a crime to just be aware of the y2 < y1 and
write the equation in the more logical fashion that the straight calculation gives
you. To me it seems similar to how you rewrite the equations of constant
acceleration the standard way the calculus shows them and you mentally
set g = - 9.8 m/s²

Just like to hear some thoughts on this, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sponsoredwalk,

sponsoredwalk said:
In deriving the gravitational potential energy term I have a question.

[tex] W \ = \ \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \overline{F}( \overline{r}) \cdot \,d \overline{r} \ = \ \int_{y_1}^{y_2}mg \,dy [/tex]

There is a problem here with the second integral. Remember that the dot product depends on the direction of the vectors, and that this force is downwards.

[tex] W \ = \ \int_{y_1}^{y_2}mg\,dy [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ mgy_2 \ - \ mgy_1 [/tex]

[PLAIN]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2303/workvk.jpg

[tex] W \ = \ mgy_2 \ - \ mgy_1 \ = \ U_{grav}_2 \ - \ U_{grav}_1 [/tex]

I think I understand that y2 < y1 and that is the
reason why people write the above as:

[tex] W \ = \ mgy_1 \ - \ mgy_2 \ = \ U_{grav}_1 \ - \ U_{grav}_2 [/tex]

but is it such a crime to just be aware of the y2 < y1 and
write the equation in the more logical fashion that the straight calculation gives
you. To me it seems similar to how you rewrite the equations of constant
acceleration the standard way the calculus shows them and you mentally
set g = - 9.8 m/s²

Just like to hear some thoughts on this, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the problem, the force is w = mg and the direction is downwards so both
the force and direction are in the same direction ergo there should be no minus.
What am I missing?

[tex] \overline{F} \ \cdot \ d \overline{r} \ = \ mg \ \hat{j} \ \cdot \ (\ dx \ \hat{i} \ + \ dy \ \hat{j} \ + \ dz \ \hat{k} \ ) [/tex]

[tex] \overline{F} \ \cdot \ d \overline{r} \ = \ mg \ dy [/tex]

?

sponsoredwalk said:
I don't see the problem, the force is w = mg and the direction is downwards so both
the force and direction are in the same direction ergo there should be no minus.
What am I missing?

[tex] \overline{F} \ \cdot \ d \overline{r} \ = \ mg \ \hat{j} \ \cdot \ (\ dx \ \hat{i} \ + \ dy \ \hat{j} \ + \ dz \ \hat{k} \ ) [/tex]

[tex] \overline{F} \ \cdot \ d \overline{r} \ = \ mg \ dy [/tex]

?

The dy is positive; the limits that you have put in there handle the fact that you are actually moving downwards. (At least, that is why you are getting a different answer. There are other ways to interpret it, but that is the easiest.)

(Also, you know the work done by gravity as the box moves down is positive, and yet you are getting a negative work.)

Hmm, I'm still a little confused I must admit. Thanks a lot for the help, I think if you could
help me as I explain a specific example I think it'll be easy to generalize from it.

Say I'm dropping a 10kg box from a point 10m above the ground, say y1 = 10m
to a point 2m above the ground, y2 = 2m. The force acting on the box is
[tex] \overline{F} \ = \ - \ m \ g [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ \int_{y_1}^{y_2} \ \overline{F} \ \cdot \ d \overline{r} [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ \int_{10}^{2} \ (- \ m \ g ) \hat{j} \ \cdot \ dy \ \hat{j} [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ - \ m \ g \ y \ |^{2}_{10} [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ - \ m\ g \ (\ 2 \ - \ 10 \ ) [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ + \ 8 \ m\ g \ [/tex]

W = 800 J (g = 10m/s² for convenience).

I assume the calculation for the general term for potential energy follows a similar
pattern? I mean, I should count F as (- mg)i and then the minus will cancel out if
we are moving in the direction of motion or remain if we go against gravity?

If I do this the derivation goes as follows:

[tex] W \ = \ \int_{y_1}^{y_2} \ (- \ m \ g ) \hat{j} \ \cdot \ dy \ \hat{j} [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ \int_{y_1}^{y_2} \ - \ m \ g \ dy [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ mgy|^{y_1}_{y_2} [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ mg_1 \ - \ mgy_2 [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ U_1 \ - \ U_2 [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ - \ (U_2 \ - \ U_1) [/tex]

and voila? :biggrin:

sponsoredwalk said:
Hmm, I'm still a little confused I must admit. Thanks a lot for the help, I think if you could
help me as I explain a specific example I think it'll be easy to generalize from it.

Say I'm dropping a 10kg box from a point 10m above the ground, say y1 = 10m
to a point 2m above the ground, y2 = 2m. The force acting on the box is
[tex] \overline{F} \ = \ - \ m \ g [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ \int_{10}^{2} \ (- \ m \ g ) \hat{j} \ \cdot \ dy \ \hat{j} [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ - \ m \ g \ y \ |^{2}_{10} [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ - \ m\ g \ (\ 2 \ - \ 10 \ ) [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ + \ 8 \ m\ g \ [/tex]

W = 800 J (g = 10m/s² for convenience).

I assume the calculation for the general term for potential energy follows a similar
pattern? I mean, I should count F as (- mg)i and then the minus will cancel out if
we are moving in the direction of motion or remain if we go against gravity?

If I do this the derivation goes as follows:

[tex] W \ = \ \int_{y_1}^{y_2} \ (- \ m \ g ) \hat{j} \ \cdot \ dy \ \hat{j} [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ \int_{y_1}^{y_2} \ - \ m \ g \ dy [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ mgy|^{y_1}_{y_2} [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ mg_1 \ - \ mgy_2 [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ U_1 \ - \ U_2 [/tex]

[tex] W \ = \ - \ (U_2 \ - \ U_1) [/tex]

and voila? :biggrin:

Looks good to me!

alphysicist said:
Looks good to me!

GREAT! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks for the help, enjoy the day/night/humidity/warmth/[insert_temporal/environmental_circumstances_here] :biggrin:

sponsoredwalk said:
GREAT! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks for the help, enjoy the day/night/humidity/warmth/[insert_temporal/environmental_circumstances_here] :biggrin:

My pleasure! And I liked the question; I remember doing exactly the same thing long ago while deriving the U = -G M m/r form of the gravitational potential, and wondering why the minus sign was not showing up for me.

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy an object has by virtue of its height above the ground or any other reference point.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is E = mgh, where E is energy, m is mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What is the difference between gravitational potential energy and gravitational potential?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field, while gravitational potential is the potential energy per unit mass at a given point in a gravitational field.

4. How does gravitational potential energy change when an object is moved to a different height?

When an object is moved to a different height, its gravitational potential energy changes. The change in gravitational potential energy is equal to the work done in moving the object to the new height.

5. What are some real-life examples of gravitational potential energy?

Examples of gravitational potential energy include a book on a shelf, a roller coaster at the top of a hill, water stored in a dam, and a satellite orbiting the Earth.