Tele Vue / Meade laser test: question

In summary, the conversation is about experimenting with a Meade 2x telextener and a Tele Vue 4x Powermate. The speaker observed a nicely formed laser point when using the barlow, but when using the powermate, the laser point was elongated and distorted. They were curious if others had a similar experience and if it could be due to the optics being out of wack. The conversation also touches on the importance of rotating the laser and the learning process in experimenting with different equipment.
cyber3d
Hi newbe here.

Can someone confirm an experiment I just made on a Meade 2x telextener (tele extender) and a Tele Vue 4x Powermate?

I placed a laser collimator into the barlow and observed a nicely formed laser point exiting the lens. Then I placed the same laser collimator into the Tele Vue 4x Powermate and the laser point was totally elongated revealing almost 3 distinct points in a straight line (fairly close together but most definitely elongated).

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I assume you are fining tuning your collimation
See: http://www.cameraconcepts.com/barlowed%20laser%20collimation.pdf

Confirm what? That you were experimenting with barlows?

Anyway, do you think you might see miscollimation more easily with a 4X or a 2X barlow? What do you think is the source of your miscollimation? Have you tried rotating the laser in the fixture?

Actually no.
I just got the powermate but noticed my eye was really getting tired compared to the Barlow. The power difference could not account for that, right?

So, as an experiment, I inserted the laser into each and observed the output against a clean wall. I was surprised to see how distorted the beam was with the powermate. Could the optics be out of wack?

I was hoping someone could try it on their powermate.

Victor

I was just curious. I did rotate the laser and it is definitely the powermate and not the laser.

I'm not saying this is a scientific bench test. I'm just curious if others see the same results.

Victor

That was my suspicion, just didnt want to ruin the fun exploring options. It's all about learning.

What is the purpose of the Tele Vue / Meade laser test?

The Tele Vue / Meade laser test is used to check the alignment and collimation of a telescope's optics. It can also be used to verify the accuracy of the telescope's tracking system.

How is the Tele Vue / Meade laser test performed?

The test involves attaching a laser collimator to the telescope's focuser and adjusting the telescope's primary and secondary mirrors until the laser beam is centered in its own reflection. This ensures that the mirrors are properly aligned and collimated.

Can the Tele Vue / Meade laser test be performed on any type of telescope?

Yes, the test can be performed on any type of telescope that has a focuser and a primary and secondary mirror. However, the laser collimator may need to be adjusted for different telescope designs.

What are the benefits of performing the Tele Vue / Meade laser test?

Performing the test can help improve the overall performance of the telescope by ensuring that the optics are properly aligned and collimated. It can also save time and frustration when trying to locate and observe objects in the sky.

How often should the Tele Vue / Meade laser test be performed?

The frequency of performing the test depends on how often the telescope is used and the conditions in which it is used. However, it is recommended to perform the test at least once a year to maintain optimal performance of the telescope.