Please anyone help me out Circular motion Questions

In summary: Problem 3: What provides the centripetal force on the car? To get the proper banking angle, ignore friction.The vertical component of the normal force (N) balances the weight of the car (W), so the car will stay on the road at a constant banking angle (θ) as long as the speed (v) is greater than the minimum speed for the curve (μ). The minimum speed is the speed at which the car would begin to fall off the edge of the road. The car will roll off the edge of the road if v < μ, or if θ is greater than the maximum banking angle, which is 45 degrees.In summary, the car will stay
saltrock
Please anyone help me out ASAP!Circular motion Questions

Hey guys,i was given about 50 numericals to do related to circular motion .I did most of it but got stuck in the following questions:

1)The gravitational field near the equator is less than that at the poles.It is partially accounted for by the fact that Earth rotates about polar axis.At poles the Earth does not move.At the equator,the gravitational pull has to also provide a centripetal acceleration.Calculate the acceleration which represents some of the difference in the gravitational field?(r=6.4 times 10^6)

2)A car travels over a humpback bridge at the speed of 20 m/s.
a)calculate the minium radius of the brifge if the car's road wheels are to remain in contact with the bridge?
b)what happens if the radius is less than this limiting value?

3)At what angle should ta road with 150 m curvature be banked for travel at 75 km/hr?

If you guys can answer any of these questions please please answer me back.I'd really be grateful to you.Thanyou very much.
:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF saltrock!

You'll get plenty of help here, but you have to show some work. Here are a few hints:

Problem 1: What's the formula for centripetal acceleration? I assume you know the period of rotation of the earth!

Problem 2: Draw yourself a diagram of the car going over the bridge. It's going in a circle, so what must be its acceleration? The tighter the circle (smaller the radius) the greater the centripetal acceleration. What forces act on the car to provide that acceleration?

Problem 3: What provides the centripetal force on the car? To get the proper banking angle, ignore friction.

Hi DOC.Cheers for your help.Heres my working

a) given,
radius= 6.4 times 10^6
using a= rw^2 w=2pie/T
a=6.4 times 10^6.5.2 times 10^-9=0.34 m/s^2

2) I think i should use this forumla
v=rw i have got v , i need to calculate r, i also need to get the value of w which i can calculate by using w=2pie/T but i don't know T so this formula is useless .I don't know any other method od doing this .so i don't know how to do it.can you help me do this please.Thank you very much.

Last edited:
saltrock said:
a) given,
radius= 6.4 times 10^6
using a= rw^2 w=2pie/T
a=6.4 times 10^6.5.2 times 10^-9=0.34 m/s^2
Your method is fine, but check your arithmetic. You're off by a factor of 10.

saltrock said:
2) I think i should use this forumla
v=rw i have got v , i need to calculate r, i also need to get the value of w which i can calculate by using w=2pie/T but i don't know T so this formula is useless .I don't know any other method od doing this .so i don't know how to do it.can you help me do this please.Thank you very much.
The weight provides the centripetal force holding the car onto the road as it goes over the curved bridge. The maximum force is the weight of the car, so use F = ma for centripetal acceleration. Note that centripetal acceleration is give by [itex]a_c = \omega^2 r = v^2/r[/itex], the two versions being related by [itex]v = \omega r[/itex]. So, F = ma leads to [itex]mg = mv^2/r[/itex]. Solve this for r.

on question no theree i don't know what formula i should be using..if you can give me some tips i'll try to solve it.thanks in advance

Prob 3 tips

saltrock said:
on question no theree i don't know what formula i should be using..if you can give me some tips i'll try to solve it.thanks in advance
First, as always, draw a picture of the car on the inclined road. Identify all the forces on the car and their directions: weight of car (downwards), normal force of road (perpendicular to road surface).

Then consider these facts:
(1) The centripetal force is provided by the horizontal component of the normal force.
(2) The weight must be balanced by the vertical component of the normal force.

Express these facts mathematically and you'll get a relationship between road angle, speed, and curve radius. Give it a shot.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It can be described as the continuous change in direction of an object's velocity vector, while its speed remains constant.

2. What are the factors that affect circular motion?

The two main factors that affect circular motion are the magnitude of the velocity and the radius of the circular path. Other factors include the mass of the object, the force applied, and any external forces acting on the object.

3. How do you calculate the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force in circular motion can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a perceived effect due to inertia.

5. How does centripetal force affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

Centripetal force does not directly affect the speed of an object in circular motion. However, a change in centripetal force can cause a change in the object's direction, which in turn can affect the speed. For example, a decrease in centripetal force can cause an object to slow down or even stop, while an increase in centripetal force can cause the object to speed up.