From civil engineering to mechanical engineering?

In summary, the speaker is a student in the Philippines who is having doubts about their chosen course, civil engineering. They are considering switching to mechanical engineering and are seeking advice on how to make the decision. They are also being recommended to do research and talk to advisors in order to make an informed decision.
ggcflo
help I am having trouble deciding for my future. i live here in the philippines, and yes maybe most graduates from a third world country may be looked down to but i want to maximize what i can learn from my engineering school(mapua institute of technology) to ensure me a good future.

im currently into my 1st term of majors in civil engineering and I am already having doubts about my course. ce seems to be underlooked in my eng'g school as the "easiest eng'g course" maybe because it deals with nonmoving objects? is it really the easiest eng course? one of my other choices is mech eng because it looks much more fun and it may give me a better future. help. thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, no one is going to be able to foresee the future to tell you which path will be the better future. I think it's a safe bet that any engineering is a good choice as a career. Mostly it's important that you enjoy the field.

In the US, the first year or two of most science and engineering classes are very similar (lots of math and basic sciences). Is it the same way in the Philippines? If so, you don't have to decide right away. So take some time to do some research into each field.

Does your school have engineering clubs? That would be a good way to get a close-up, hands-on experience.

Perhaps you could talk to advisors in each department - they may have resources for you to explore to help you decide.

In my school the 1st and 2nd years are also for basic maths and sciences but because of requisites I got major subjects early on and while I do love math, civil engineering just strikes me as boring because of the non moving objects and material studies. Thanks lisab, ill make research about my and other courses:)

What is the difference between civil engineering and mechanical engineering?

Civil engineering focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure such as buildings, roads, bridges, and water systems. Mechanical engineering, on the other hand, deals with the design and production of mechanical systems, such as machines, engines, and tools.

Can someone with a civil engineering degree work in the field of mechanical engineering?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a civil engineering degree to work in the field of mechanical engineering. However, they may need to gain additional knowledge and skills through on-the-job training or further education in order to be successful in this new field.

What skills are transferable from civil engineering to mechanical engineering?

Some transferable skills from civil engineering to mechanical engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, project management, and the ability to work with complex technical systems. Both fields also require a strong understanding of mathematics and physics.

What career opportunities are available for someone with a background in civil engineering transitioning to mechanical engineering?

There are many career opportunities available for someone with a background in civil engineering transitioning to mechanical engineering. Some examples include working in the design and development of new mechanical systems, manufacturing and production, and research and development.

What are some challenges one may face when transitioning from civil engineering to mechanical engineering?

One of the biggest challenges when transitioning from civil engineering to mechanical engineering may be the need to learn new technical skills and knowledge. Additionally, there may be a learning curve in understanding the different industry standards, codes, and regulations. It may also take time to build a network and establish oneself in the new field.