Question about having a Theory in astronomy. ?

In summary: Anything you do on your own, whether physical or electronic, will not prove anything with regard to priority. You need someone else's help, and not just any someone. Here are a few more solid ideas:-Get your idea notarized. Print your idea on paper, take that paper along with proof of identity to a notary public, and have those pages physically notarized.-Submit your idea to a scientific journal for consideration.-Form a scientific or research team and submit your idea to a team competition.-Attend a scientific conference and present your idea to other researchers.
nukeman
Question about having a "Theory" in astronomy. ?

Hey,

Let's say you have a theory something to do with astronomy. You have not done any research on it, and its just an idea right now.

What do you do next? How can you go forth and write about it, without someone else finding it, and maybe taking credit for it?

Not sure I am explaining this correct.

As an example, let's say I have an idea that moon is filled with gold or something, and I start to write about it, and then do some research on it. How do I make sure no one else takes my work, or idea and call it there own?

Thanks guys

Astronomy news on Phys.org

You got the name right on your second attempt. You have an idea. So the first step is to build logically coherent and testable hypothesis from that idea. Then you start making different tests to see that your hypothesis is true. In you example that probably be digging at several places and getting gold at some predicted depth. Then you put that on paper and pay to the appropriate authority to validate the document as your property and the date that event happened. (In my country that is done by notarius).

But don't bother with the moon, everybody knows it is made of cheese.

P.S.: Sorry guys, I have to go. I have rocket ship to fill with fuel :P

An idea, without rigorous observational and mathematical evidence, is just an idea. The usual way these things become accepted is by publishing in peer reviewed journals. Short of the Nobel prize, there is little reward for such efforts. Most scientists settle for peer recognition as their reward [and grants].

I start to write about it, and then do some research on it.
The most logical thing to do is to reverse the order of those activities. Doing some research will most certainly show that your idea is not new at all or that it doesn't work.
It also prevents you from violating forum guidelines and/or annoying other members with unsubstantiated speculation.

nukeman said:
What do you do next? How can you go forth and write about it, without someone else finding it, and maybe taking credit for it?

The first thing is to do a lot of research to see if anyone else has come up with the idea. Someone probably has come up with the idea or something close to it.

Also don't worry about people "stealing" your ideas. Most ideas in science involve lots of people coming up with different pieces of the puzzle, and you get more out of talking to people than not talking.

How do I make sure no one else takes my work, or idea and call it there own?

You'll find that research communities are rather small, so everyone knows everyone else, and everyone knows what everyone else is working on. Any sort of scientific paper is going to have dozens of references, and people get higher status by both being able to reference other people's work and being referenced.

Upload all the details to a private secure website of your own, it will be date stamped - therefore whoever tried to steal it will have to PROVE they did it before your date.

Gaius Baltar said:
Upload all the details to a private secure website of your own, it will be date stamped - therefore whoever tried to steal it will have to PROVE they did it before your date.

Don't listen to him. Any person or organization that has public-private key issued earlier than yours can forge the date, by simply setting the clock on the computer for earlier date and then signing the document.

Upisoft said:
Don't listen to him. Any person or organization that has public-private key issued earlier than yours can forge the date, by simply setting the clock on the computer for earlier date and then signing the document.

Him? That's a first...

Upload it to Rapidshare or something then, you can't change there OWN times.

Sigh...

Gaius Baltar said:
Him? That's a first...

Upload it to Rapidshare or something then, you can't change there OWN times.

Sigh...

But THEY can, if they want to or they were payed awesome to do so...

Sigh...

Best thing to do is send it to yourself in the post recorded delivery.

SIGH.

Gaius Baltar said:
Best thing to do is send it to yourself in the post recorded delivery.

SIGH.
What's with the all caps SIGHing? Getting frustrated by your ideas being shot down? The solution is to offer some solid ideas.

Anything you do on your own, whether physical or electronic, will not prove anything with regard to priority. You need someone else's help, and not just any someone. Here are a few more solid ideas:
  • Get your idea notarized. Print your idea on paper, take that paper along with proof of identity to a notary public, and have those pages physically notarized. Some locales are starting to dabble with the concept of electronic notarization. Downside: Just because you can prove you had some idea on October 18, 2010 does not necessarily yield any benefit when it comes to deciding precedence.

• Patent your idea. This will probably entail retaining an IP attorney (not cheap!). Going it alone is typically a fool's errand. Downside: You have to have a patentable idea.

• Present your idea at a conference or publish it in a technical journal. Graduate students in most technical disciplines are strongly encouraged to follow this route. Downside: You have to get an education.

To the OP: There are still places where a lone inventor can contribute something useful to society. New and improved mouse traps are patented all the time. If, however, you are talking about something technical, the opportunities for the lone inventor are becoming ever smaller with time. A formal education in the relevant area of interest was pretty much a prerequisite even a century ago. Nowadays you can erase the "pretty much."

D H - I don't mind ANY of my ideas being "shot down", and appreciate them, but not when someone rudely put's "Don't listen to him" - maybe you should read that part?

Gaius Baltar said:
D H - I don't mind ANY of my ideas being "shot down", and appreciate them, but not when someone rudely put's "Don't listen to him" - maybe you should read that part?

There is nothing rude to tell people to not listen things that are not true.

The post records can be changed and you can do nothing about it. If humans have access to the information it can be changed.

It is true what I said, but when someone will find anything they can wrong with it because I disagree'd with you on a previous thread, it's pretty sad.

P.S - I didn't see you offering any advice.

•Get your idea notarized. Print your idea on paper, take that paper along with proof of identity to a notary public, and have those pages physically notarized. Some locales are starting to dabble with the concept of electronic notarization. Downside: Just because you can prove you had some idea on October 18, 2010 does not necessarily yield any benefit when it comes to deciding precedence.

•Patent your idea. This will probably entail retaining an IP attorney (not cheap!). Going it alone is typically a fool's errand. Downside: You have to have a patentable idea.

•Present your idea at a conference or publish it in a technical journal. Graduate students in most technical disciplines are strongly encouraged to follow this route. Downside: You have to get an education.

You might want to tell the OP not to listen to D H because humans have access to the information.

Gaius Baltar said:
P.S - I didn't see you offering any advice.
D H said:
  • Get your idea notarized.
  • Patent your idea.
  • Present your idea at a conference or publish it in a technical journal.
If what I offered isn't advice, I don't know what does constitute advice in your book.

You might want to tell the OP not to listen to D H because humans have access to the information.
Oh, that book, the paranoid playbook.

Notary publics are not going to steal your ideas. Scientists go to notaries all the time to have their notebooks notarized. As far as the notary is concerned, all they are doing is certifying that on the date in question the notarized pages were filled with nonsense squiggles (we call it math) written in non-erasable ink. Patent attorneys and the patent office are not going to steal your ideas. A patent attorney is not going to risk their rather $1000/hour lucrative profession by violating client-attorney privileges. Patent office employees don't make quite that much money, but they are still quite ethical regarding protecting people's proprietary information. The same goes for conference organizers
and journal editors. None of these people are going to steal your ideas.

It wasn't aimed at you DH.

Cowpies are difficult to notarize.

1. What is a theory in astronomy?

A theory in astronomy is a well-supported and extensively tested explanation for a phenomenon or set of observations in the field of astronomy. It is based on evidence and can be used to make predictions about future observations.

2. How is a theory different from a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is an educated guess or proposed explanation for a phenomenon, while a theory is a well-established and extensively tested explanation that has been supported by a large body of evidence. A theory has been rigorously tested and can make accurate predictions, while a hypothesis is more speculative and requires further testing to become a theory.

3. Can a theory in astronomy be proven?

No, a theory in astronomy (or in any scientific field) cannot be proven. It can only be supported by evidence and withstand rigorous testing. However, as more evidence is gathered and the theory remains consistent, it becomes widely accepted and is considered a strong explanation for the observed phenomenon.

4. Are there different types of theories in astronomy?

Yes, there are various types of theories in astronomy, including cosmological theories (explaining the origin and evolution of the universe), planetary theories (explaining the formation and characteristics of planets), and stellar theories (explaining the behavior and evolution of stars).

5. Can a theory be changed or disproven?

Yes, a theory can be modified or even disproven if new evidence or observations contradict it. Scientists are constantly testing and refining theories to better understand the universe, and a theory may be revised or replaced if it can no longer explain all of the available evidence.