What Are the Health Effects of Living Near Power Lines?

In summary, living near power lines has been a topic of concern due to the potential health effects it may have. Studies have shown that exposure to the electromagnetic fields (EMFs) emitted from power lines may increase the risk of childhood leukemia and certain types of cancer in adults. However, the evidence is inconclusive and more research is needed to fully understand the long-term effects. Other health concerns associated with living near power lines include sleep disturbances, headaches, and cognitive issues. While the exact impact of living near power lines on human health is still unclear, it is recommended to minimize exposure to EMFs as a precautionary measure.
franz32
I want to ask about the applications of magnets

Is it possible that people who lived in a town could have health
problems such as headaches, nausea, brain tumors.. due to an established
plant, which distributes power to nearby towns and cities through
hundreds of high-tension cables running along and over a residential
area? I think it is.. but I don't know why."

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of plant?

KaneOris said:
What type of plant?

An eggplant! :rolleyes:

Corny eh? Not an eggplant.. a power plant..

There is no confirmed connection between the type of electro-magnetic fields that you will find near electric generating plants, high voltage wires, or transformers.

The scientific community has not reached a consensus on how/why exactly high voltage powerlines in close proximity to people for extended periods of time are linked to cancer occurence and other nasty stuff. Scientifically, it shouldn't happen, as these voltages are not high enough to cause such things in theory, but statistically the link exists. Just stay away from high-voltage powerlines. :biggrin:

Sirus said:
The scientific community has not reached a consensus on how/why exactly high voltage powerlines in close proximity to people for extended periods of time are linked to cancer occurence and other nasty stuff. Scientifically, it shouldn't happen, as these voltages are not high enough to cause such things in theory, but statistically the link exists. Just stay away from high-voltage powerlines. :biggrin:

A question - didn't I read a few years ago that the scientist who published the paper supposedly establishing this link admitted falsifying his data?

Still looking for an answer to my question above, but in the process I did find this site. It's titled "Static EM Field FAQ" by John E. Moulder, Ph.D, Professor of Radiation Oncology at the Medical College of Wisconsin.

http://www.mcw.edu/gcrc/cop/static-fields-cancer-FAQ/toc.html

LOTS of info there!

What is the purpose of using magnets in everyday applications?

Magnets are used in everyday applications for a variety of reasons, such as creating motion, generating electricity, and holding objects in place. They are also used in medical equipment, transportation, and communication devices.

What are some examples of how magnets are used in technology?

Magnets are used in various technologies, including speakers, hard drives, electric motors, and generators. They are also used in MRI machines, compasses, and credit and debit cards.

How do magnets attract and repel each other?

Magnets have both a north and south pole, and opposite poles attract each other while like poles repel. This is due to the magnetic field created by the movement of electrons in the atoms of the magnet.

Can magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time due to exposure to high temperatures, strong magnetic fields, or physical damage. This is known as demagnetization.

What are some potential future applications of magnets?

Some potential future applications of magnets include using them in sustainable energy production, such as in wind turbines and hydroelectric generators. They may also be used in advanced medical treatments and in developing more efficient transportation methods.