Vehicle dynamics requirements

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of a CS student wanting to learn about vehicle dynamics to program a simulator. The student is aware that this is a difficult task and is willing to put in the effort. They ask for recommendations on math and physics subjects that are necessary for this goal. The other person, a mechanical engineer, advises that in addition to integration, vectors, matrices, and differential equations mechanics, the student should also have knowledge in areas such as transient analysis, suspension systems, cornering stiffness, and braking. They suggest collaborating with experienced mechanical and automotive engineers for a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.
embassyhill
I'm a CS student interested in learning vehicle dynamics to program a simulator (like iRacing for example). I know this is a difficult task but I am willing to take the long road. So I am asking here, what math and physics subjects should I go through to make this happen? I guess it's probably the same as with every other kind of mechanical simulation. So far I've understood that I need to know integration, vectors, matrices, differential equations mechanics. Anything else I should definitely add to this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sir or Maam, I respect your programming skills, I have an A.S. in CS myself, but your knowledge is not enough in the area of physics, mechanics, and mathematics... As a mechanical engineer now pursuing post-grad work, I can tell you that it requires more book learning and transient analysis than you may be prepared for! There is a large amount of intuition and experience to truly write a cohesive program to simulate the dynamic characteristics for a vehicle. Suspension systems, cornering stiffnesses, effects over time on turns, braking... this list is technically exhaustive and the concepts complicated. My suggestion is that you collaborate with more than one experienced mechanical engineer/automotive engineer on this project. Take care!

1. What are vehicle dynamics requirements?

Vehicle dynamics requirements refer to the specifications and design criteria that must be met in order for a vehicle to perform optimally in terms of handling, stability, and overall performance on the road.

2. What factors are considered in vehicle dynamics requirements?

Some of the main factors that are considered in vehicle dynamics requirements include weight distribution, suspension design, tire characteristics, steering system, and aerodynamics.

3. How do vehicle dynamics requirements affect vehicle performance?

The vehicle dynamics requirements play a crucial role in determining the overall performance of a vehicle. The design and specifications of these requirements can greatly impact a vehicle's handling, stability, and maneuverability on the road.

4. Why is it important to meet vehicle dynamics requirements?

Meeting vehicle dynamics requirements is important for ensuring the safety and reliability of a vehicle. It also helps to improve the driving experience and overall performance of the vehicle.

5. How are vehicle dynamics requirements tested and evaluated?

Vehicle dynamics requirements are typically tested and evaluated through a combination of computer simulations and physical testing. This allows for a thorough assessment of the vehicle's performance under different conditions and helps to identify any areas where improvements may be needed.