Tube lemma generalization proof

In summary, the problem is to show that if A and B are compact subspaces of X and Y, respectively, and N is an open set in X x Y containing A x B, then there exist open sets U in X and V in Y such that A x B \subseteq U x V \subseteq N. The solution involves writing N as a union of basis elements in X x Y and then covering A x B with basis elements contained in N. By the compactness of A x B, a finite subcover can be found, leading to the desired sets U and V. The validity of this solution is still uncertain, as it depends on the relation \cup_{i=1}^n (U_{i}' \
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let A and B be compact subspaces of X and Y, respectively. Let N be an open set in X x Y containing A x B. One needs to show that there exist open sets U in X and V in Y such that A x B [itex]\subseteq[/itex] U x V [itex]\subseteq[/itex] N.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my try:

First of all, since N is open, it can be written as a union of basis elements in X x Y, i.e. let N = [itex]\cup U_{i} \times V_{i}[/itex].

Then we cover A x B with basis elements contained in N, so that [itex]A \times B \subseteq \cup U_{i}' \times V_{i}'[/itex]. Since A and B are compact, so is A x B, and for this cover, we have a finite subcover, so that [itex]A \times B \subseteq \cup_{i=1}^n U_{i}' \times V_{i}'[/itex].

Now we have the following relation:

[itex]A \times B \subseteq \cup_{i=1}^n U_{i}' \times V_{i}' \subseteq \cup U_{i} \times V_{i} = N[/itex].

Now, I'm not sure if this relation holds:

[tex]\cup_{i=1}^n (U_{i}' \times V_{i}') \cap (\cup U_{i} \times V_{i}) \subseteq \cup_{i=1}^n (U_{i}' \cap (\cup U_{i})) \times \cup_{i=1}^n (V_{i}' \cap (\cup V_{i})) \subseteq N[/tex]. If it does, then [tex]U = \cup_{i=1}^n (U_{i}' \cap (\cup U_{i}))[/tex] and [tex]V = \cup_{i=1}^n (V_{i}' \cap (\cup V_{i}))[/tex] are the sets we were looking for.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If x = (a, b) is in [tex](\cup_{i=1}^n (U_{i}' \times V_{i}')) \cap (\cup U_{i} \times V_{i})[/tex] then a is in Ui, b is in Vi, for some i, and a is in Ui' and b is in Vi'. So, a is in the intersection of Ui and Ui', for some i, and b is in the intersection of Vi and Vi', for some i, i.e. in their unions, so a is in [tex](\cup_{i=1}^n (U_{i}' \cap (\cup U_{i}))) \times (\cup_{i=1}^n (V_{i}' \cap (\cup V_{i})))[/tex].

Any comments?

Edit: just corrected some LaTeX errors and added some brackets, now it should be OK.

Last edited:
Still no ideas? I'd like to know if this is correct, so I can finalize the exercise section I'm working on.

1. What exactly is the "Tube lemma generalization proof"?

The "Tube lemma generalization proof" is a mathematical proof technique used to generalize the Tube lemma, which is a fundamental result in topology. It is often used in the study of geometric spaces and their properties.

2. Why is the Tube lemma important in topology?

The Tube lemma is important because it helps to establish a link between the local and global properties of a geometric space. It allows for the translation of local properties of a space into global properties, which can greatly simplify the study of a space.

3. How does the Tube lemma generalization proof work?

The Tube lemma generalization proof involves breaking down a complex geometric space into smaller, simpler components. These components are then analyzed using the Tube lemma, and the results are combined to prove the desired generalization.

4. What are some examples of applications of the Tube lemma generalization proof?

The Tube lemma generalization proof has various applications in mathematics and physics. It has been used to prove the existence of topological invariants, to study the behavior of differential equations, and to analyze the dynamics of dynamical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Tube lemma generalization proof?

Yes, there are certain limitations to the Tube lemma generalization proof. It can only be applied to certain types of spaces, such as smooth manifolds, and may not be applicable in more abstract mathematical settings. Additionally, the proof may become more complicated as the dimension of the space increases.