Finding Viscosity Using a Sphere-Drop Method

In summary, the problem involves a sphere of radius 1.06 cm and mass 13.0 g being dropped into a glass cylinder filled with a viscous liquid of density 1146 kg/m3. The sphere reaches a terminal speed of 0.166 m/s. Using Stokes' law, the viscosity of the liquid can be calculated to be approximately 1.50*107 Pa*s.
cody11

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius 1.06 cm is dropped into a glass cylinder filled with a viscous liquid. The mass of the sphere is 13.0 g and the density of the liquid is 1146 kg/m3. The sphere reaches a terminal speed of 0.166 m/s. What is the viscosity of the liquid?

Variables (in standard units):
Radius of sphere: 0.0106 m
Mass of sphere: 13.0 g
Density of liquid: 1.146*106 g/m3
Terminal speed: 0.166 m/s

Variables I calculated:
Volume of sphere 4/3*pi*0.0106 m=0.0444
Density of sphere 13.0/0.0444=292.793

Homework Equations

(densityobject-densityfluid)Vg=6*pi*viscosity*r*v

The Attempt at a Solution

(292.793-1.146*106)(0.0444)(9.8)/6*pi*0.0106*0.166

This gives me a value of -1.50*107 Pa * s. Obviously I don't think viscosity can be negative and that negative value is coming from my computation of drag
(densityobject-densityfluid. So I'm thinking something is wrong there. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is in the equation. The equation you used is for the drag force, not the viscosity. The equation you want is Stokes' law:F = 6πηrv

1. What is the purpose of using the sphere-drop method to find viscosity?

The sphere-drop method is a technique used to determine the viscosity of a fluid. This information is important in many scientific and industrial applications, as it provides insight into the fluid's resistance to flow and its overall properties.

2. How does the sphere-drop method work?

In this method, a solid sphere is dropped into the fluid and allowed to fall a certain distance. The time it takes for the sphere to reach the bottom is measured and used to calculate the viscosity of the fluid. The theory behind this method is based on the relationship between the viscosity of the fluid and its resistance to the motion of the sphere.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of this method?

The accuracy of the sphere-drop method can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the sphere, the density and temperature of the fluid, and the distance over which the sphere falls. It is important to control these variables to obtain reliable results.

4. What are the advantages of using the sphere-drop method?

One of the main advantages of this method is its simplicity and ease of use. It also requires minimal equipment and can be performed quickly. Additionally, it can be used to measure the viscosity of a wide range of fluids, including both Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids.

5. Are there any limitations to the sphere-drop method?

The sphere-drop method may not be suitable for highly viscous fluids or those with high surface tension. In addition, the method assumes that the fluid is incompressible and that the motion of the sphere is not affected by any external forces. Careful consideration of these limitations is necessary when using this method to ensure accurate results.