Integration in Sean Carroll's parallel propagator derivation

In summary, Sean Carroll's "parallel propagator" derivation in Chapter 3 of his General Relativity Lecture Notes involves solving a differential equation and integrating both sides to find the solution. The Kronecker delta provides the correct normalization and the concept of integration already includes the iteration procedure. This procedure involves adding indices to define derivatives and integrals of vector-valued functions. Carroll's equation (3.39) is just a representation of this procedure with indices.
Rasalhague
Integration in Sean Carroll's "parallel propagator" derivation

Reading Chapter 3 of Sean Carroll's General Relativity Lecture Notes, I've followed it up to and including eq. 3.38.

[tex]\frac{d}{d\lambda} P^\mu_{\;\;\; \rho}(\lambda,\lambda_0) = A^\mu_{\;\;\; \sigma} P^\sigma_{\;\;\; \rho}(\lambda,\lambda_0).[/tex]

Here, Carroll writes, "To solve this equation, first integrate both sides:

[tex]P^\mu_{\;\;\; \rho}(\lambda,\lambda_0) = \delta^\mu_\rho + \int_{\lambda_0}^\lambda A^\mu_{\;\;\; \sigma} (\eta) \; P^\sigma_{\;\;\; \rho}(\eta,\lambda_0) \; d \eta.[/tex]

"The Kronecker delta, it is easy to see, provides the correct normalization for [itex]\lambda = \lambda_0[/itex]."

I can see that this makes P the identity matrix in that case, but by what algebraic rule is it inserted. This is a definite integral, so shouldn't any constant of integration be canceled out?

Also, I don't understand the iteration procedure that follows. Doesn't the concept of integration already encode such a procedure, taken to a limit? Should I read this as (coordinate-dependent?, coordinate independent?) abstract index notation for a matrix equation inside the integral sign, or is each component function integrated separately? Is there a name for this procedure or the subject area that includes it? Can anyone recommend a book or website that explains the mathematical background. Sorry these questions are a bit vague. I'm not really sure what to ask.

I wonder if it's related to what Bachman calls cells and chains. Maybe I should read the rest of that chapter first.

Physics news on Phys.org

Write it as

[tex]\frac{dP(\lambda)}{d\lambda}=A(\lambda)P(\lambda)[/tex]

The solution of this differential equation with the initial data [tex]P(\lambda_0)=I[/tex] is

[tex]P(\lambda)=I+\int_{\lambda_0}^\lambda A(\lambda)P(\lambda)[/tex]

First, check that indeed the initial value data are satisfied and then that the differential equation is also satisfied.

Now, add the indices remembering that

[tex]\left(\frac{dP(\lambda)}{d\lambda}\right)^\mu_\rho[/tex] is the same as
[tex]\frac{dP^\mu_\rho(\lambda)}{d\lambda}[/tex] and similarly on the RHS - matrix entries of the integral are integrals of matrix entries owing to the linearity of the integral. That is how we define derivatives and integrals of vector-valued functions.

Thanks again, arkajad! I get it now. Holding lambda_zero constant,

[tex]P(\lambda) - P(\lambda_0) = \int_{\lambda_0}^{\lambda} A(\eta) P(\eta) \; \mathrm{d}\eta[/tex]

and

[tex]P(\lambda_0) = I[/itex]

given what the parallel propagator has be defined to do, so

[tex]P(\lambda) = I + \int_{\lambda_0}^{\lambda} A(\eta) P(\eta) \; \mathrm{d}\eta.[/tex]

Sean Carroll's eq. (3.39) is just this expressed with indices. And there's no ambiguity over the order of operations, because the derivatives and integrals are defined componentwise.

1. What is "Integration" in Sean Carroll's parallel propagator derivation?

"Integration" in this context refers to the mathematical process of finding the total or net effect of a function over a given range. In Sean Carroll's parallel propagator derivation, integration is used to calculate the transformation of a vector from one coordinate system to another.

2. Why is integration necessary in the parallel propagator derivation?

Integration is necessary in the parallel propagator derivation because it allows us to calculate the transformation of a vector from one coordinate system to another. This is essential in understanding the movement of particles or objects in different reference frames.

3. What is the role of the parallel propagator in the integration process?

The parallel propagator is a mathematical tool used to describe the parallel transport of a vector along a curve or path. In the integration process, the parallel propagator is used to calculate the transformation of a vector from one coordinate system to another.

4. How does the parallel propagator relate to the concept of parallel transport?

The parallel propagator is directly related to the concept of parallel transport. It is a mathematical tool used to describe the parallel transport of a vector along a curve or path. In other words, it allows us to understand how a vector changes as it is moved from one point to another along a specific path.

5. Are there any limitations to using the parallel propagator in integration?

Yes, there are limitations to using the parallel propagator in integration. It assumes that the space in which the vector is being transported is flat and that the vector remains parallel to itself throughout the transport. This may not always be the case, and so the results of the integration may not be entirely accurate.