An electron describing a helical path

In summary, the problem involves an electron moving in a uniform magnetic field at an angle of 60 degrees. The goal is to calculate the radius of a helix, the time for one full revolution, and the pitch of the helix. The solution involves splitting the motion into two component vectors and using relevant equations. A helpful resource for solving this type of problem is provided.
Alteron
This problem involves a an electron describing a helical path, but I've never worked with helixes in my life, so I'm completely stuck.

Homework Statement

An electron enters a region where a uniform magnetic field B, of magnitute B = 3.00 * 10^(-3) T exists. The velocity v of the electron, of magnitute v = 1.80 * 10^7 ms^-1, makes an angle α = 60.0° with the field B. (B is a straight line, v is at an angle of 60° to B).
Calculate:
1. The radius R of a loop of helix
2. The time taken for the electron to complete one full revolution
3. The pitch of the helix (the distance between the two consecutive loops)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I can tell the only way to solve this is to split the motion of the helix into 2 component vectors, but I don't know how to incorporate the angle, I never tried to solve a helical problem before, so I'm not sure which equations are relevant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I think you did not write the question as given to you..maybe you modified little bit..
Anyway this link will be helpful
http://www.memetaworks.com/e_as_Quantum/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an electron describing a helical path?

An electron describing a helical path refers to the motion of an electron around a central point in a spiral or corkscrew-like manner. This type of movement is often observed in particles moving through a magnetic field.

2. Why does an electron follow a helical path?

An electron follows a helical path due to the interaction between its charge and the magnetic field it is moving through. The magnetic field exerts a force on the electron, causing it to follow a curved path instead of a straight line.

3. How does the helical path of an electron affect its behavior?

The helical path of an electron affects its behavior by changing its trajectory and speed. As the electron moves through the magnetic field, its path will curve, causing it to change direction and potentially collide with other particles.

4. What are the applications of studying an electron's helical path?

Studying an electron's helical path has applications in many different fields, including particle accelerators, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. Understanding the behavior of electrons in a magnetic field is also important for developing new technologies, such as magnetic levitation trains.

5. Can an electron's helical path be controlled?

Yes, an electron's helical path can be controlled to some extent by adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field it is moving through. This is important for applications such as particle accelerators, where precise control over the electron's path is necessary to achieve desired outcomes.