New to Physics Forums? Struggling with Laplace?

In summary, the conversation discusses three problems involving Laplace and its applications, including finding the Laplace transform of a given function without using a table, finding the inverse Laplace transform, and finding the Maclaurin series of a given function. The process of calculating the Laplace transform and the inverse transform is explained, as well as the concept of Maclaurin series. The original poster also asks for help and requests to see some of the work done so far.
awaheed
hi everyone, I am new to physics forums and am struggling with Laplace.

I have been given 3 problems:

a) sint-tcost -> find the laplace transform of the fiven function without using table

b) 3/ s2(s2-a) -> Find the inverse laplace transform of the given function

c) Ln (1 + sinx) -> find from first principles the first three non zero terms of the maclaurin series of the given function f(x)

Any help would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ! Without using the table means that you need to apply the integral definition.
The Laplace Transform of any function is calculated by integrating this way:

[tex]\mathcal{L} \left\{ f(t) \right\} = \int_{0}^{+\infty}{f(t)\cdot{}e^{-s\cdot{}t}dt}[/tex]

Where f(t) is the original function.
And the inverse transform is calculated as:

[tex]\mathcal{L}^{-1} \left\{ F(s) \right\} = \frac{1}{2\pi{}i}\int_{\sigma-i\infty}^{\sigma+i\infty}{F(s)\cdot{}e^{s\cdot{}t}ds}[/tex]

And for the third one, Maclaurin means you're looking for the Taylor expansion centered at 0.

Last edited:
Please show us some of what you have done.

1. What is Physics Forums?

Physics Forums is an online community that provides a platform for individuals to discuss and ask questions about various topics in physics. It is a place for scientists, students, and enthusiasts to connect and exchange knowledge and ideas.

2. How can I join Physics Forums?

To join Physics Forums, simply go to their website and click on the "Sign Up" button. You will be prompted to create a username and password, and provide some basic information about yourself. Once you have completed the registration process, you will have access to all the features and discussions on the forum.

3. What is Laplace and why is it important in physics?

Laplace, also known as the Laplace operator, is a mathematical operator that is commonly used in physics to describe physical systems and their behavior. It is particularly important in areas such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It allows for the mathematical representation of physical phenomena and is essential for solving many physics problems.

4. How can I better understand Laplace?

Understanding Laplace can be challenging, but there are several resources available to help you. You can start by studying the basics of differential equations, as Laplace is often used to solve these types of equations. There are also numerous online tutorials and videos that explain Laplace in a more visual and intuitive way. And of course, asking questions and engaging in discussions on Physics Forums is a great way to gain a deeper understanding of Laplace.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with Laplace?

If you are struggling with Laplace, don't get discouraged. Physics is a complex subject, and it is normal to face challenges along the way. The best thing you can do is to seek help and resources. You can ask questions on Physics Forums, consult with your peers or instructors, or look for additional educational materials online. With persistence and determination, you can overcome any difficulties and continue to grow in your understanding of Laplace and other concepts in physics.