Jacobians change of variable integrals

In summary, the first conversation involves solving an integral involving e raised to the negative square root of the sum of two variables in polar coordinates, and the second conversation involves using the Jacobian to transform the area of integration in x and y to the area in u and v for the given integral.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

edit* proper problem

change to polar

Integral(0 to infinity)Integral(0 to infinity)e-sqrt(x2 + y2[/SUP)dxdy

the one below isn't the right problem, but i'd still appreciate help on the one below

Make the change of variables u=x-y, v=x+y to evaluate the integral

Integral(0 to 1)dy Integral(0 to (1-y)) e(x-y)(x+y)dx

Homework Equations

J = J((x,y)/(u,v)) = partial((x,y)/(u,v)) = det(partial((x,y)/(u,v)))

The Attempt at a Solution

PROBLEM 1
Not sure how to do a jacobian for this or even if its needed. It looks as if i would just stick in y=rsint x=rcost.

PROBLEM 2

I did the determinant which came to

{1, 1}, {-1, 1} = 2

integral()integral()f|J|dudv = integral()integral()2euvdudv

not sure if this is right, but if it is I'm not sure how to change my limits

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For (2), you need to determine how the area of integration in x and y is transformed to a new area of integration in u and v under the transformations u=x-y and v=x+y. So first draw a simple plot of the area in x and y for:

[tex]\int_0^1 \int_0^{1-y} f dxdy[/tex]

That's just the triangular region between (0,0), (1,0) and (0,1) right? Ok, so just take the line segment along the x-axis from 0 to 1 and see how that line is transformed to a new line in the u-v coordinate system. So, y=0 for that and x goes from 0 to 1 so:

u=x
v=x
v=u

then the line along the real axis from 0 to 1 in the x-y coordinate plane is mapped to the line v=u from u=0 to u=1 in the u-v coordinate plane. Now, do that for the other two lines around this area, and that will give you the new region in the u-v plane to integrate over.

can anyone help with my first question.

You don't "need" the Jacobian if you remember that the "differential of area" in polar coordinates is [itex]r drd\theta[/itex].

Of course, "r" is the Jacobian:
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} \\ \frac{\partial y}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta}\end{array}\right|= \left|\begin{array}{cc}cos(\theta) & -r sin(\theta) \\ sin(\theta) & r cos(\theta)\end{array}\right|= r[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
You don't "need" the Jacobian if you remember that the "differential of area" in polar coordinates is [itex]r drd\theta[/itex].

Of course, "r" is the Jacobian:
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} \\ \frac{\partial y}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta}\end{array}\right|= \left|\begin{array}{cc}cos(\theta) & -r sin(\theta) \\ sin(\theta) & r cos(\theta)\end{array}\right|= r[/tex]

yes i seen that in previous chapter in my textbooks. but I'm not sure how easy this question is supposed to be. When i applied what you put up top

[tex]re^{-\sqrt{(rcos\vartheta)^{2}+(rsin\vartheta)^{2}}}drd\vartheta[/tex]

re^sqrt(...) since i can't get the text to sit right
which would reduce to re-r

What is a Jacobian in relation to change of variable integrals?

A Jacobian is a mathematical concept that represents the change in variables when transforming from one coordinate system to another. In the context of change of variable integrals, the Jacobian is used to account for the change in variables when integrating over a different coordinate system.

Why is the Jacobian important in change of variable integrals?

The Jacobian is important in change of variable integrals because it allows for the transformation of an integral from one coordinate system to another. Without accounting for the change in variables, the integral would not be accurate and could lead to incorrect results.

How do you calculate the Jacobian for a change of variable integral?

The Jacobian for a change of variable integral can be calculated by taking the determinant of the Jacobian matrix. The Jacobian matrix is created by taking the partial derivatives of the new variables with respect to the old variables.

What happens to the limits of integration when using a change of variable with a Jacobian?

When using a change of variable with a Jacobian, the limits of integration also need to be transformed to match the new coordinate system. This is done by substituting the old variables with the new variables in the original limits.

Can the Jacobian be negative in a change of variable integral?

Yes, the Jacobian can be negative in a change of variable integral. This occurs when the transformation causes a change in orientation of the coordinate system. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the Jacobian when using it in a change of variable integral.