Taylor Series for ln(x) of Degree n at 2

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Taylor polynomial for ln x of degree n, at 2. The student is struggling to find the formula expressed with n and x for each term, but eventually realizes the pattern for the coefficients by looking at the general formula for a Taylor series. They are then able to solve the problem.
ptolema

Homework Statement

find Taylor polynomial for ln x of degree n, at 2
(Pn,2(x))

Homework Equations

Pn,1(x)= (x-1) - (x-1)2/2 + ... + (-1)n-1(x-1)n/n

The Attempt at a Solution

there doesn't seem to be an obvious pattern to this. the coefficients for n=1 to n=4 are 2, -8, 24, -64. there is a common factor of 2, yes, but this doesn't account for the sign changes. the first term is ln 2, a positive number, then the next is (x-2)/2, another positive coefficient. how can i find the formula expressed with n and x for each term?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have in your notes or book a general formula for a Taylor series. Start by looking that up.

yes, i did check all my notes, but the only ones given were formulas for Pn,1(x). I'm not sure how to change it to Pn,2(x) for ln, that's what i need help with

ptolema said:
yes, i did check all my notes, but the only ones given were formulas for Pn,1(x). I'm not sure how to change it to Pn,2(x) for ln, that's what i need help with

How did you get that the coefficients for n=1 to n=4 are 2, -8, 24, -64? That's certainly correct if you mean 1/2, -1/8, etc. Don't you see how to get the pattern for a general coefficient from that? Probably easier than deriving it from Pn,1(x).

i see now! after staring at it for a bit, i finally realized the (rather obvious) trend, thanks

1. What is a Taylor Series for ln(x) of Degree n at 2?

A Taylor Series is a mathematical series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms. In this case, the Taylor Series for ln(x) of Degree n at 2 represents the function ln(x) centered at the point x=2 and includes terms up to the nth degree.

2. How is the Taylor Series for ln(x) of Degree n at 2 calculated?

The Taylor Series for ln(x) of Degree n at 2 can be calculated using the formula: ln(x) = ln(2) + (x-2) - (x-2)^2/2 + (x-2)^3/3 - (x-2)^4/4 + ... + (-1)^(n+1)*(x-2)^n/n. This formula is derived from the Maclaurin series for ln(x) and involves taking derivatives of ln(x) at x=2.

3. What is the purpose of using the Taylor Series for ln(x) of Degree n at 2?

The Taylor Series for ln(x) of Degree n at 2 can be used to approximate the value of ln(x) at any point x near 2. It can also be used to find the derivatives of ln(x) at x=2, which can be useful in solving mathematical problems.

4. Are there any limitations to the Taylor Series for ln(x) of Degree n at 2?

Yes, the Taylor Series for ln(x) of Degree n at 2 is an infinite series, meaning it includes an infinite number of terms. As a result, using a finite number of terms will only provide an approximation of the true value of ln(x). Additionally, the series only converges for values of x within a certain interval around 2.

5. Can the Taylor Series for ln(x) of Degree n at 2 be used for other functions?

Yes, the Taylor Series can be used to approximate the values of many different functions, not just ln(x). However, the formula for the Taylor Series will be different for each function. It is also important to note that the series will only converge if the function is differentiable at the point it is centered on (in this case, x=2).