Injectivity of a linear operator

In summary: The open mapping theorem (or a similar result) tells us that if f is a continuous function on a compact subset A of R^n, then there exists a continuous linear mapping from A to itself such that the range of the mapping is A. This is true for any linear mapping, not just ones that are one-to-one.
D_Miller
Technically this isn't homework, but just something I saw another user state without proof in a very different thread. I believe, however, that it is specific enough to pass as a "homework question" so I thought I'd pretend that it was and post it here, because I'm getting a bit frustrated with it:

Let f be a continuous, complex-valued function on [0, 1] and define a linear operator [tex]M_f[/tex] on [tex]L^2[0,1][/tex] by [tex](M_f g)(x)=f(x)g(x)[/tex]. Then
(a) [tex]M_f[/tex] is bounded and [tex]||M_f||=||f||_{\infty}[/tex].
(b) Suppose that [tex]M_f[/tex] is one-to-one. Then the range of [tex]M_f[/tex] is closed if and only if [tex]f(x)=0[/tex] for all x∈[0,1]. In that case [tex]M_f[/tex] is one-to-one and
onto, and the inverse map is bounded.

Part (a) is rather trivial, but part (b) bugs me. I have never seen this result before, and I cannot seem to prove it. My original idea was to use the open mapping theorem in relation to the kernel of the operator, but I couldn't make it work. I still think the open mapping theorem or a similar result is the right way forward, but I would very much appreciate it if someone could write out a proof.

Oh, and if it could be of help to anyone, the injectivity of [tex]M_f[/tex] follows when the set of zeroes of f has measure 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand. If f(x)=0 for all x in [0,1] then [tex]M_f=0[/tex], so how can it be one-to-one?

One quick observation is (that you probably know about) is that if the range is closed then the inverse operator (restricted to the range) is bounded, therefore f must never vanish. Conversely, if f never vanish, then the inverse exist on the whole space, thus, in particular, the range is closed. I hope the above is correct and that you will be able to fill the holes.

Last edited:
Hmm, I just accepted this fact in the other thread without thinking about it. But thinking about it, it seems to be less obvious. But what if you take f=1 (the constant 1-function). Then certainly this is one-to-one and has a closed range...

So, what's wrong with that?

What is the definition of injectivity of a linear operator?

Injectivity of a linear operator refers to the property of a linear transformation that maps distinct input values to distinct output values. In other words, if two different inputs are given to the linear operator, they will result in two different outputs.

How is injectivity of a linear operator determined?

The injectivity of a linear operator is determined by checking whether the operator has a non-trivial null space. If the null space is only the zero vector, then the operator is injective. Another way to determine injectivity is by checking the rank of the operator, which should be equal to the dimensionality of the input space.

What is the significance of injectivity in linear algebra?

Injectivity is an important concept in linear algebra as it allows for the inverse of the operator to exist, which is crucial in solving equations and finding solutions to systems of linear equations. It also ensures that the operator preserves the dimensionality of the input space, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

Can a non-linear operator be injective?

No, a non-linear operator cannot be injective as it does not follow the properties of a linear transformation. Non-linear operators may map distinct inputs to the same output, making them not injective.

How is injectivity related to bijectivity?

Injectivity is a necessary condition for bijectivity, which means that a bijective linear operator must also be injective. However, an injective linear operator may not be bijective since it may not have a unique output for every input. Bijectivity requires both injectivity and surjectivity, which means that every output must have a corresponding input and vice versa.