Pendulum Problem with a twist

• Thread starter JonDaMon8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the bob would not be able to make it all the way around the fixed rod if it was placed at the halfway point. Try energy conservation!
JonDaMon8
Alright this is the problem, i hope i describe it so you can all understand it

You start out holding the bob at and angle of 90 degrees (horizontal), with the string tight. Then release the bob, when the angle hits 0 degrees a fixed rod is placed somewhere between the top of the string and the bob. This cuts the length of the pendulum so that the pendulum now spins around the fixed rod

At what spot on the string should the fixed rod be placed that will allow the bob to spin all the way around the fixed rod at least once

By doing guess and check i concluded that it would be at exactly half way down the string to allow it to spin around the fixed rod

But i can't figure out how you would figure it out

i kno you use mg sin theta to find the PE i believe but i can't figure out what to do from there

If you don't get my description i can prolly make a video to show what i mean

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try energy conservation!

How? When the string reaches the bottom, the potenial energy is at 100%, and then starts to turn into KE in an equal ratio. But i don't see how i can apply it into the problem

Alright i got an idea, since the length of the pendulum has been cut in half, (because of the fixed rod) half of the enegery from the original fall is used to get the bob back to horizontal with the x-axis, and the rest of the energy to get it around the bob past the y-axis and around to a complete rotation

If you set the fixed rod up at further down from the midpoint of the string, there is some energy left over

and if you set the fixed rod about the midpoint of the string, there isn't enough energy to get it to go around it would stop at around a positive angle from the -x axis...

does this make any sense or sound correct to u guys?

JonDaMon8 said:
By doing guess and check i concluded that it would be at exactly half way down the string to allow it to spin around the fixed rod
This is incorrect.

As Tide suggested, you will need to use conservation of energy. But be sure that the bob has enough energy at the top of its motion so that the string remains taut. (To find out how much energy is needed to keep the string taut, consider centripetal acceleration.)

Doc Al said:
This is incorrect.

As Tide suggested, you will need to use conservation of energy. But be sure that the bob has enough energy at the top of its motion so that the string remains taut. (To find out how much energy is needed to keep the string taut, consider centripetal acceleration.)

Alright, so theoretically, if the fixed rod is at halfway between the top of the string and bottom, when the string gets to horizonal with the fixed rod, 50% of the KE is transferred, right? That means there's 50% KE left, but that 50% is not enough to keep the string taut just enough to get it to the very top and then it would fall, correct?

JonDaMon8 said:
Alright, so theoretically, if the fixed rod is at halfway between the top of the string and bottom, when the string gets to horizonal with the fixed rod, 50% of the KE is transferred, right? That means there's 50% KE left, but that 50% is not enough to keep the string taut just enough to get it to the very top and then it would fall, correct?
When the bob reaches half its original height, it will have half the KE it had at the bottom. And that is not enough to keep the string taut throughout the rest of the motion. When the string goes slack the bob will follow a parabolic path, so it won't even make it to the original height. (It's not being shot straight up: the string changes the bob's trajectory. So it will never make it to the original height if the rod is placed at the halfway point.)

1. What is a "Pendulum Problem with a twist"?

A "Pendulum Problem with a twist" refers to a type of physics problem that involves a pendulum that is not perfectly balanced or suspended, leading to a more complex and challenging situation to solve.

2. How is a "Pendulum Problem with a twist" different from a regular pendulum problem?

In a regular pendulum problem, the pendulum is assumed to be perfectly balanced and suspended, making the calculations and solutions simpler. However, in a "Pendulum Problem with a twist", the pendulum is not perfectly balanced or suspended, adding additional variables and making the problem more challenging to solve.

3. What causes a pendulum to have a twist?

A pendulum can have a twist due to various factors such as an uneven distribution of weight, an angled suspension point, or external forces acting on the pendulum. These factors cause the pendulum to deviate from its regular back-and-forth motion and create a twisting or rotating motion.

4. How do scientists solve "Pendulum Problem with a twist"?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as the equations of motion and conservation of energy, to solve "Pendulum Problem with a twist". They also take into account factors such as the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the angle of the suspension point to determine the motion and behavior of the pendulum.

5. What are some real-life applications of "Pendulum Problem with a twist"?

Understanding and solving "Pendulum Problem with a twist" is crucial in many fields, including engineering, robotics, and physics. It can help in designing and optimizing the motion of pendulum-based systems, such as clock pendulums, cranes, and amusement park rides. It also has applications in studying the behavior of non-uniform objects and chaotic systems.