Escaping the solar system from Earth's orbit

In summary, the minimum speed, relative to the Sun, necessary for a spacecraft to escape the solar system if it starts at the Earth's orbit is approximately 0.18813 km/s. This can be calculated using the equation v=sqrt(2GM/R), where M is the mass of the sun and R is the distance from the spacecraft to the sun. It is important to note that in this equation, R is not the radius of the solar system, but rather the starting radius of the spacecraft, which in this case is the Earth's orbit. Additionally, it is important to use the correct signs in the equation, with the potential energy being negative and the kinetic energy being positive.
irishbob

Homework Statement

(a) What is the minimum speed, relative to the Sun, necessary for a spacecraft to escape the solar system if it starts at the Earth's orbit?

Homework Equations

Kinetic Energy=Potential Energy
0.5mv^2=rGM/(r^2)
0.5v^2=GM/r
Where M is the mass of the sun, and r is the radius of the solar system

The Attempt at a Solution

v=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}}[/tex]
v=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2(6.673E-11)(1.98892E30)}{7.5E15}}[/tex]
v=188.1281 m/s
v=0.18813 km/s
So I'm pretty sure I'm using the right methods and variables, but I'm not sure what's going wrong. My only thought is that I'm using the wrong value for the radius, but I can't seem to find 1 value that's agreed upon for the radius of the solar system. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a strange thing to understand on this E = GMm/R formula, Bob.
When R is infinitely large, E = 0. That means the makers of the formula defined zero potential energy to be when the m is infinitely far from the M. Any finite value of R gives a larger value for E which doesn't make sense. Of course you have to fire your rockets to boost m from any finite value of R to infinity. It DOES make sense if you put a minus sign on it: E = -GMm/R. Then your m has negative energy until you boost it way out there, where it then has zero energy. To make the long story short, energy E = GMm/R must be added to the negative energy it has at radius R in order to move it out of the solar system. And the R you use is not the radius of the solar system, but the starting radius - the radius of the Earth's orbit in this case.

I get the first part (number/large number=small number, lim as x->infinity of 1/x=0), but I'm having a little trouble following the second part. Would it be like this?
sqrt(2gm/r)=-GM(earth)m(rocket)/R(earth)+GM(sun)m(rocket)/R(earth)?

Last edited:
hi irishbob! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
irishbob said:
I get the first part (number/large number=small number, lim as x->infinity of 1/x=0), but I'm having a little trouble following the second part. Would it be like this?
sqrt(2gm/r)=-GM(earth)m(rocket)/R(earth)+GM(sun)m(rocket)/R(earth)?

no, the mass of the rocket is irrelevant (because it doesn't affect the escape velocity), so is the mass of the Earth (because the question says "from the Earth's orbit", which needn't be anywhere near the Earth! :wink:)

go back to your √(2GMSun/R) :smile:

what do I use for R though? It's still not coming up right...

R is distance to the Sun :smile:

if it still doesn't come out right, show us what you've done :wink:

That was the problem! it was 3 a.m. my time when I was doing this, and for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to use the radius of the sun for R. Thanks!

Glad to help! Hope you don't have to work through the night again.

:zzz: :zzz: :smile:

1. How can we escape Earth's orbit and travel to other planets?

In order to escape Earth's orbit and travel to other planets, we would need to achieve a speed of approximately 11.2 km/s, also known as the Earth's escape velocity. This requires a powerful rocket and a lot of fuel.

2. Can we use the Earth's rotation to help us escape the solar system?

No, the Earth's rotation cannot help us escape the solar system. While the Earth's rotation does contribute to the speed of objects launched into space, it is not enough to reach escape velocity.

3. How long would it take for a spacecraft to escape the solar system from Earth's orbit?

The time it takes for a spacecraft to escape the solar system from Earth's orbit depends on several factors, such as the spacecraft's speed and trajectory. However, on average, it would take approximately 19 hours to reach the moon and 6-8 months to reach Mars.

4. Are there any risks involved in escaping Earth's orbit?

Yes, there are several risks involved in escaping Earth's orbit. These include technical malfunctions, exposure to radiation, and the effects of weightlessness on the human body. It is essential for scientists to carefully plan and prepare for these risks before attempting to escape Earth's orbit.

5. Can we use solar energy to help us escape the solar system?

While solar energy is used to power spacecraft, it is not feasible to use it as the sole source of energy to escape the solar system. This is because solar energy is not powerful enough to reach the necessary speeds to escape Earth's orbit.