Calculate Satellite Speed & Period at 400 km Height

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of estimating the speed and period of a satellite orbiting Earth at a height of 400km. The equations used include the centripetal acceleration formula and Newton's Law of Universal gravitation. The final result for the speed is 25km/h, which is calculated by using the radius of the Earth and the altitude of the satellite. The conversation also briefly touches on a different problem involving a satellite with a radius of 7*10^6m and a mass of 200kg, where the speed is calculated to be 75.6km/h using the same equations.
max0005

Homework Statement

Estimate the speed of a satellite orbiting Earth at an height of 400km. Also determine the period of the orbit.

Homework Equations

Centripetal acceleration: [tex]F=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]
Newton's Law of Universal gravitation: [tex]F=\frac{G(MassEarth)(MassSatellite)}{R^2}[/tex]
G = 6.67*10^-11
Mass of Earth: 6*10^24kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I now have that:
[tex]\frac{(MassSatellite)v^2}{400} = \frac{G(MassEarth)(MassSatellite)}{1.6*10^5}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]v=\sqrt\frac{G(MassEarth)}{400}[/tex]

Where G has a fixed value of 6.67*10^-11.

I therefore get that v has a value of 2*10^6 km/h... Isn't this excessive? This would mean that if we take the radius of Earth and estimate it to about 6,000km and add the 400 km we get an orbital circumference of 40212km. This means that the satellite travels around the globe 500 times an hour or 12000 times a day! Where am I going wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
That is excessive. Why is R = 400 km? What is R in the Law of Gravitation?

R is 400km because my textbook says (quote): "whose orbit is 400km above the Earth's surface". R stands for radius.

max0005 said:
R is 400km because my textbook says (quote): "whose orbit is 400km above the Earth's surface". R stands for radius.
What kind of radius? From where to where?

Well, I think it's the distance between the satellite and earth... But then book doesn't explain if I should consider from the center of the Earth or from the surface. Indeed, if it was from the center then I'd get a speed of about 2.5*10^5km/h.

It is from the center of the Earth, i.e. the radius of the orbit, not the altitude of the satellite. Also don't forget to convert kilometers to meters before you calculate.

So my R would have a value of 6.4*10^5 meters right? Then I get a velocity of 25,000m/s or 25km/h which makes a lot more sense.

Thank you very much for your help! :biggrin:

A general question... Provided a know the radius of orbit I can always use:

[tex]v=\sqrt\frac{G(Mass of Earth)}{R}[/tex] and from there the period?

No. The radius of the Earth is about 6400 km to which you need to add the 400 km of altitude. That is the radius of the orbit that needs to go in the calculation.

max0005 said:
A general question... Provided a know the radius of orbit I can always use:

[tex]v=\sqrt\frac{G(Mass of Earth)}{R}[/tex] and from there the period?
Yup.

Then if I had a satellite with mass 200kg, g at 8.2m/s^2 and total radius of 7*10^6 at would have a speed of 75km/h?

Edit: Sorry about the other, I plunged in wrong decimal. :\

max0005 said:
Then if I had a satellite with mass 200kg, g at 8.2m/s^2 and total radius of 7*10^6 at would have a speed of 75km/h?

Edit: Sorry about the other, I plunged in wrong decimal. :\
Is this a different problem? What is the statement of this one?

Considering a satellite orbiting with a radius of 7*10^6m from the center of Earth having a mass of 200kg. The value of g (gravity) is fixed at 8.2m/s. Estimate the speed of the satellite.

[tex]v=\sqrt\frac{G(MassEarth)}{7*10^6}[/tex]

Which results in about 75.6km/h.

max0005 said:
Considering a satellite orbiting with a radius of 7*10^6m from the center of Earth having a mass of 200kg. The value of g (gravity) is fixed at 8.2m/s. Estimate the speed of the satellite.

[tex]v=\sqrt\frac{G(MassEarth)}{7*10^6}[/tex]

Which results in about 75.6km/h.
I did not check the numbers, but you should use the same equation. I don't see, however, why you are given the mass and g at that orbit. Are there more parts to the problem?

Quote from book:

"Calculate the speed of a 200kg satellite, orbiting the Earth at a height of 7.0*10^6 meters.

Assume that g = 8.21 m/s^2 for this orbit."

max0005 said:
Quote from book:

"Calculate the speed of a 200kg satellite, orbiting the Earth at a height of 7.0*10^6 meters.

Assume that g = 8.21 m/s^2 for this orbit."
It is better to say a = g = v2/r and solve for v that way.

Is that the acceleration obtained from centripetal formula? I don't understand how it works then, one is the value of gravity due to the planet, the other is the speed of the satellite...

[tex]F_{Net}=ma[/tex]

[tex]F_{Net}=\frac{GmM_E}{R^2}=mg[/tex]

[tex]F_{Net}=\frac{mv^2}{R}[/tex]

What is g at a given orbit, what is a and what is the centripetal acceleration?

What is the formula for calculating satellite speed at 400 km height?

The formula for calculating satellite speed at a specific height is:
S = √(GM/R)
Where:
S = Satellite speed (m/s)
G = Universal gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2)
M = Mass of the Earth (5.97 x 10^24 kg)
R = Radius of the Earth plus satellite height (6,400 km + 400 km = 6,800 km)

What is the formula for calculating satellite period at 400 km height?

The formula for calculating satellite period at a specific height is:
T = 2π√(R^3/GM)
Where:
T = Satellite period (seconds)
R = Radius of the Earth plus satellite height (6,800 km)
G = Universal gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2)
M = Mass of the Earth (5.97 x 10^24 kg)

What is the average speed of a satellite at 400 km height?

The average speed of a satellite at 400 km height can be calculated by plugging in the values into the formula for satellite speed mentioned above. The average speed would be approximately 7,743 m/s.

What is the average period of a satellite at 400 km height?

The average period of a satellite at 400 km height can be calculated by plugging in the values into the formula for satellite period mentioned above. The average period would be approximately 5,531 seconds or about 1.54 hours.

How does changing the height of a satellite affect its speed and period?

The speed of a satellite is directly proportional to the square root of its distance from the center of the Earth. Therefore, as the height of a satellite increases, its speed decreases. On the other hand, the period of a satellite is directly proportional to the cube root of its distance from the center of the Earth. This means that as the height of a satellite increases, its period also increases. So, a higher satellite will have a slower speed and a longer period compared to a satellite at a lower height.