Can Social Media Be Used to Help Prevent/Solve Crimes?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Social media
In summary, the author suggests using social media to help prevent crimes by monitoring the home for signs of intruders and activating a phone call to the police if necessary.
I love Sundays. *I sleep in, listen to NPR’s Weekend Edition while making breakfast and catch up on my Facebook news feed from the weekend exploits of my friends. *Pretty relaxing, that is until Liane began a story about a burglar who stole someone’s computer and then posted a picture of himself on the victim’s [...]http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=virtualnavigator.wordpress.com&blog=11498882&post=339&subd=virtualnavigator&ref=&feed=1

More...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think we're way past the question: social media is used to help prevent/solve crimes. But an interesting discussion can be had about how it is used...

We had a rash of flash mobs in Philly a couple of years ago and use of social media was a big part of stopping them:
Philadelphia officials added that they had also begun getting help from the Federal Bureau of Investigation to monitor social-media networks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/us/25mobs.html?_r=1

Last edited:
I've been robbed 5 times in the last 6 months.

The last time they robbed me, they tried(or implied intent) to burn my house down.

I filed police reports each time. The (lame) attempt at arson report generated the following response:

Attempted arson must have an officer dispatched. Sorry for the inconvenience.

poop.

I was late for work already when I made the report...

russ_watters said:
We had a rash of flash mobs in Philly a couple of years ago and use of social media was a big part of stopping them
As one who lives where there is no legally enshrined freedom of association and assembly, I find that attitude perplexing.

I don't understand what you mean. Could you please explain further.

russ_watters said:
I don't understand what you mean. Could you please explain further.

Well, the perps only show up once a month, so I was wondering if any of my unemployed facebook friends could sit in my house all day and wait for them to show up. I'll provide $5 a day, and all the beer and food they can drink and eat. But they must be capable of dialing 911 when the back porch starts smoking.

And no, they cannot hang out until they find another job when the job is done. I had a roommate once, no ones going to fool me again...

OmCheeto said:
Well, the perps only show up once a month, so I was wondering if any of my unemployed facebook friends could sit in my house all day and wait for them to show up. I'll provide $5 a day, and all the beer and food they can drink and eat. But they must be capable of dialing 911 when the back porch starts smoking.

And no, they cannot hang out until they find another job when the job is done. I had a roommate once, no ones going to fool me again...

I think a big dog might cost less than your friends.

In the spirit of the thread, I do have an idea for a way to use social media to help with your problem. If your house is empty and motionless - install a webcam (that you can also monitor) and find a way to rig a motion detector - to activate a device capable of sending a preset post on the social site of your choice - maybe the phone number of the local police? It could be something very basic - such as an electric tool poised over the enter key (maybe a corded drill with a piece of rubber attached to the bit when turned on the rubber presses the key) - of course the message would need to be typed out and ready to send.

1. Can social media really be useful in preventing and solving crimes?

Yes, social media can be a powerful tool in preventing and solving crimes. With the rise of social media usage, law enforcement agencies have started to use it as a tool to gather information, conduct investigations, and communicate with the public.

2. How can social media be used to prevent crimes?

Social media can be used to prevent crimes in various ways. For example, law enforcement agencies can use social media to monitor and track criminal activities, identify potential suspects, and warn the public about potential threats. Additionally, social media can be used to educate and raise awareness about crime prevention strategies.

3. What are some examples of social media being used to solve crimes?

There have been numerous cases where social media has helped to solve crimes. For example, in 2019, a viral social media video helped to identify and arrest a suspect involved in a hit-and-run case. In another instance, social media posts and geotagged photos helped to locate and rescue a kidnapping victim. Social media has also been used to identify suspects through crowdsourcing and online tip submissions.

4. Are there any risks or limitations to using social media for crime prevention?

Yes, there are some risks and limitations to using social media for crime prevention. One major risk is the potential for false information to spread quickly, leading to misinformation and hindering investigations. Another limitation is that not everyone has access to social media, so relying solely on it for crime prevention may exclude certain demographics.

5. How can law enforcement agencies effectively use social media for crime prevention?

To effectively use social media for crime prevention, law enforcement agencies should have clear guidelines and procedures in place for monitoring and responding to social media activity. They should also work closely with the public to build trust and encourage community engagement. Additionally, proper training and resources should be provided to law enforcement officers to effectively use social media as a crime prevention tool.