Wingtip vortices in a wingsuit.

• Thread starter inviscid-lift
  • Start date
In summary: The leg-wing of a wingsuit will experience more aerodynamic drag in "vortex-affected" air than in still air. This is because the vortices from the wingsuit arm-wings decrease the air's drag.
inviscid-lift
If you are not familiar with what a wingsuit is- you should google it.
Now...
Let's assume we have ourselves a wingsuit flyer in flight (or rather glide). Let's assume the arm-wings produce vortices on the wingtips and that these vortices hit the wingtips of the leg-wing ( which are where the feet are ).
Does that increase or reduce drag on the leg-wing?
What do you think is the effect of the arm-wing downwash on the leg wing?
(glide ratios for wingsuits are about 3:1 nowadays)

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
I doubt wingtip vortices from such a small falling weight as a human are a significant drag force, compared to the overall drag of the "aircraft". In addition, the arms are usually spread wider than the feet. Finally, it seems to me that for a glide ratio of 3:1, the legs would constantly remain below the vortices' path.

As for the vortice-path and glide ratio- the vortice may hit the feet. The angle of attack varies, and the hands may be positioned in such a way that the vortice lines go 'through' the feet (leg-wing wingtips).
IF they do, even if thay are small, do they increase drag on the legs or do they decrease it?

I can't see how it can help, and my best argument is that I can't think of any aircraft that has any parts of itself flying into its own vortices. In general, they harm laminar flow. I think you would need a very special and particular geometry for vortices to be somehow helpful to flight, and I'm not aware of any such geometry at the moment.

Let me then put it this way. The leg-wing of the wingsuit (and let's concentrate on the wingtips / feet) gliding through :
1) still air
2) "vortice-affected" air
What will be the difference in aerodynamic DRAG that the leg-wing experiences in 1) and 2) ?

What are wingtip vortices in a wingsuit?

Wingtip vortices are swirling air currents that are created at the tips of the wings of a wingsuit. They are caused by the difference in pressure between the upper and lower surfaces of the wing, and can be seen as spiraling trails behind the wingsuit.

How do wingtip vortices affect a wingsuit flyer?

Wingtip vortices can affect the stability and control of a wingsuit flyer. They can create turbulence and induce rolling movements, making it more challenging to maintain a stable flight. However, they can also provide lift and aid in gliding, allowing flyers to stay airborne for longer periods of time.

Can wingtip vortices be dangerous?

In certain situations, wingtip vortices can be dangerous for wingsuit flyers. If the vortices are strong enough, they can cause uncontrollable spinning and turbulence, making it difficult for the flyer to maintain control. Additionally, if a flyer gets too close to the vortices, they may get pulled into them and lose altitude rapidly.

How can wingtip vortices be managed?

There are several ways to manage wingtip vortices while flying a wingsuit. One method is to adjust the angle of attack of the wingsuit, which can help reduce the strength of the vortices. Another method is to use body positioning and movements to counteract the effects of the vortices. Additionally, flyers can stay aware of their surroundings and avoid flying too close to other flyers or objects that may disrupt the vortices and create turbulence.

Are there any benefits to wingtip vortices in a wingsuit?

Yes, there are some benefits to wingtip vortices. As mentioned earlier, they can provide lift and aid in gliding, allowing flyers to stay in the air for longer. They can also be used strategically in formations and maneuvers during group flights. However, it is important for flyers to understand and manage the vortices to prevent any potential dangers.