Dismantling 3 Wheeler Gearbox: Idler in Differential Case

• Thread starter monty37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheeler
In summary, the conversation discusses the unique design of a 3 speed gearbox in a 3 wheel vehicle, where the idler is located in the differential case instead of the gearbox. This allows for the reverse gear to be applied in any of the forward gears, which may have evolved from a motorcycle design. However, it raises concerns about the safety of having all 4 gears available in reverse and the possible advantage of keeping the idler with the differential due to the rear engine rear drive.
monty37
i recently dismantled a 3 speed (tuk tuk) gearbox.But unlike usual 4 wheelers,i found the
idler in the differential case.usually for reverse ,idler is also present in the gearbox .
When i asked i was told that in 3 wheelers when the reverse gear is applied,the differential as a whole rotates in the opposite direction ,so reverse can be applied in any gear(1or 2 or 3).
But i have always read that reverse gear is a single gear having its own gear ratio.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I meant a 3 wheeler gearbox having 4 gears (forward) and one reverse

Seems a little dangerous to keep all 4 gears available in reverse.

Two thoughts:
The gearbox (or gearbox design) could have evolved from that of a motorcycle (without reverse). It may just be simpler that way.

Putting the reverse gear at the differential keeps drive components between gearbox and differential rotating in only one direction. Not sure if this offers an advantage.

but nobody wants 4 gears in reverse so where is the advantage in keeping the idler with
the differential.Is it because it is a rear engine rear drive?

1. What does "dismantling a 3 wheeler gearbox" mean?

Dismantling a 3 wheeler gearbox refers to taking apart the gearbox in order to access and repair or replace specific components, such as the idler in the differential case.

2. Why would the idler in the differential case need to be dismantled?

The idler in the differential case is responsible for transferring power from the engine to the wheels, so it is a crucial component in the functioning of the gearbox. It may need to be dismantled if it is damaged or worn out and needs to be repaired or replaced.

3. How do I dismantle the idler in the differential case?

To dismantle the idler in the differential case, you will need to first remove the gearbox from the vehicle. Then, carefully unscrew and remove any bolts or fasteners holding the idler in place. Once it is free, you can remove it from the differential case and proceed with any necessary repairs or replacements.

4. What tools are needed to dismantle the idler in the differential case?

The specific tools needed may vary depending on the make and model of the 3 wheeler, but generally you will need a socket wrench set, screwdrivers, pliers, and possibly a gear puller to remove the idler from the differential case.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when dismantling the idler in the differential case?

Yes, it is important to always wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when working with any vehicle components. It is also important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions and diagrams to ensure proper dismantling and reassembly procedures. Additionally, make sure the vehicle is securely supported and the gearbox is properly stabilized before beginning any work.