Use vibration to generate electricity

In summary, a student is working on a generator that uses vibration and a magnet coil setting with a spring to generate electricity. They plan to use a permanent magnet with a 12Volt output and a constant vibration frequency of 100Hz. The A is circular with a diameter of 6cm, but the number of coils and strength of the magnet have not been decided. They are also seeking advice on the best way to choose the size of the magnet. Additionally, the student is researching the effect of the spring constant, magnet mass, and damping on vibration energy harvesting, as well as exploring the use of piezoelectric crystals in vibration energy harvesting. They have come across a similar device called the Windbelt, which also uses a
comewithcws
Hello, I am a student making a generator.
the main idea is to use the vibration with the magnet coil setting with the spring to generate electricity.
I will use the permanent magnet, but i know that
e = N w B A
i decided to have a 12Volt output,
constant vibration frequency in 100Hz
the A is in circular,with diameter = 6cm(just roughly decide,can be change, but can't be too large)
but i didnt decide the number of coil (N) and the (B)
i hv no idea to choose how strong of the magnet should be.
or
may i ask that , in a resonable way, how lagre of the magnet i need to use to do this generator?

thankyou for your attention

Engineering news on Phys.org
The motion of the magnet relative to the vibrating mount is maximum when the resonant frequency of the spring (spring constant k) with mass m is tuned to the driving frequency of 100 Hz.
f0 = (1/2π) sqrt (k/m) = 100 Hz. See thumbnail.

Bob S

Attachments

• Forced oscillator3.jpg
    Forced oscillator3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:

1. How does vibration generate electricity?

Vibration can generate electricity through a process called piezoelectricity. This occurs when certain materials, such as crystals or ceramics, are subjected to mechanical stress or pressure. This causes a displacement of positive and negative charges within the material, creating an electric potential which can be harnessed as electricity.

2. What are some examples of using vibration to generate electricity?

Some examples of using vibration to generate electricity include kinetic energy harvesters, where vibrations from sources such as footsteps or vehicle movement are converted into electricity. Other examples include piezoelectric sensors in electronic devices, and vibration-powered generators in watches and other small devices.

3. Is vibration-generated electricity a sustainable source of energy?

Yes, vibration-generated electricity can be considered a sustainable source of energy as it relies on a renewable source of energy (e.g. human movement or ambient vibrations) and does not produce harmful emissions. However, the efficiency of this technology is still being improved to make it a more viable alternative to traditional energy sources.

4. Can vibration-generated electricity be used on a large scale?

Currently, vibration-generated electricity is mainly used on a small scale for powering small electronic devices. However, there have been advancements in technology that allow for larger scale applications, such as using vibrations from traffic or industrial machinery to generate electricity. Further research and development is needed to make this technology more practical and cost-effective for large scale use.

5. What are the potential benefits of using vibration to generate electricity?

There are several potential benefits of using vibration to generate electricity. It can provide a renewable and sustainable source of energy, reduce the reliance on fossil fuels, and have a lower environmental impact. It can also provide a decentralized source of energy, allowing for more self-sufficiency and energy independence. Additionally, it can have practical applications in powering small devices and sensors, and potentially even larger scale applications in the future.