Quick help with NCBI and finding coding region

• Thread starter Turkish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coding
In summary, the student has performed a nucleotide blast on the NCBI website and used CTRL+F to locate the start and end of Sequence A and B. The coding region for Sequence A is bases 1 to 36 and the gene is TRIMH1, while for Sequence B it is bases 1 to 34 and the gene is CTCF. They are having trouble with question 6 as they have not attended biotech lectures.
Turkish

Homework Statement

5. What is the coding region of the sequence obtained i.e. bases ?? to ?? and what is the name of the gene

Homework Equations

Sequence A

atggcaacaaatatccgaaaaactcacccgctcctta

Sequence B

catcacctcacttgagaacaaacttctctataaatact

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I am on the NCBI website - did a nucleotide blast, Now I did a CTRL+F to find the start and end of both sequence A and B however I can't seem to answer question 6 (above) It's probably easy but I havnt turned up to any of the biotech lectures... Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For Sequence A, the coding region is from bases 1 to 36, and the gene is called TRIMH1. For Sequence B, the coding region is from bases 1 to 34, and the gene is called CTCF.

1. What is NCBI and why is it useful for finding coding regions?

NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) is a free online database that contains a vast amount of genetic and biological information. It is useful for finding coding regions because it organizes and stores data on genes and their corresponding DNA sequences, making it easier to identify and locate coding regions within a gene.

2. How do I search for coding regions using NCBI?

To search for coding regions using NCBI, you can use the "Gene" database and enter the gene name, symbol, or accession number. This will bring up the gene's record, which includes information on its coding regions and associated DNA sequences.

3. Can I use NCBI to find coding regions in any organism?

Yes, NCBI contains information on a wide range of organisms, from bacteria to humans, so you can use it to find coding regions in almost any organism.

4. What is the difference between coding and non-coding regions?

Coding regions, also known as exons, are parts of a gene that code for a protein. Non-coding regions, also known as introns, do not code for a protein and are often removed during the process of protein synthesis. Understanding the difference between these regions is important for studying genetic disorders and gene expression.

5. Can I download coding region sequences from NCBI?

Yes, you can download coding region sequences from NCBI in various file formats, such as FASTA or GenBank. These sequences can be used for further analysis and research.