Single Photon Travel: Exploring Paths and Barriers

In summary: You would see a single photon coming out on average every time. This is because the path from the light source to the chamber is a straight line and the path from the chamber to the detector is also a straight line. However, due to the way the detectors are set up, the photon will sometimes hit one detector and sometimes hit the other, but on average it will hit both. This is because the path from the light source to the chamber is a curved line, while the path from the chamber to the detector is a straight line.
primal schemer
Hi All,

Just wondering about something. First of all, if I have a light source that emits a single photon at a time, and a machine that can detect photons, am I right in assuming that the photon can only be detected by the detecting machine in one area. For example if the light source is in the middle of the room, pointing left, then the detection machine must be on the left hand side of the room, "looking at" the light source in order to detect the photon??

If this is correct, am I also right in saying that the photon can take any path from the light source to the detector, and that while the probabity is huge that it will go in a straight line to the detector, it may follow any path?

Ok, 2 questions. Firstly, Why can it go in any path?? (I think that this is an unanswered question in physics, but I thought I`d ask it anyway)

And secondly, I read somewhere (can`t recall where) that all paths cancel each other out to ensure that light almost always travels in the straight line. How does this happen?

--------------------------------------
Now, another scenario for the same setup. This time in between the light source and the detector, there is a barrier with only a tiny gap directly in between the source and the detector (that is you can draw a straight line between the source and the detector through the gap). Light now doesn`t travel in a straight line (you would have to move the detector down to detect it). Is this because all other possible paths cannot cancel each other out (due to the barrier)?? or is there some other reason.

Help appreciated,

Primal schemer

Physics news on Phys.org
primal schemer said:
And secondly, I read somewhere (can`t recall where) that all paths cancel each other out to ensure that light almost always travels in the straight line. How does this happen?

Hmm, very interesting questions, for the second I think you are mixing up with electricity; electricity takes all paths there. This may be due to the whole electromagnetic force, photon and electron thing. :biggrin: Hope I could help.

All paths are indeed possible, but as you say, the 'alternative routes' cancel out, making light appear to go in straight lines.

If you remove some of the possible routes with a thin slit or a diffraction grating, the light can be seen to go in different directions.

(Feynman's QED is the best book you can get if you want to understand this further.)

Well, if you had a vacuum chamber the width of one photon, and however long you want, and the chamber was made of the photon detectors, then what would come up?

What is single photon travel?

Single photon travel refers to the study of how a single photon, which is the smallest unit of light, travels through different paths and encounters barriers along its journey.

Why is single photon travel important?

Understanding single photon travel is crucial for fields such as quantum mechanics, telecommunications, and astronomy. It allows us to better understand the behavior of light and how it can be manipulated for various applications.

How do scientists study single photon travel?

Scientists use specialized equipment, such as lasers and detectors, to generate and measure single photons. They also use mathematical models and simulations to predict and analyze the behavior of single photons in different scenarios.

What are some potential applications of single photon travel research?

Single photon travel research has many potential applications, including quantum cryptography for secure communication, quantum computing for faster and more powerful computers, and improved imaging techniques for medical and scientific purposes.

What are some challenges in studying single photon travel?

One major challenge in studying single photon travel is the fragility of single photons. They can easily be absorbed or scattered by various materials and obstacles, making it difficult to control and measure their paths. Another challenge is developing equipment and techniques that can detect and manipulate single photons with high precision.