Particle Collisions: Proton Kinetic Energy + Carbon-12 Nucleus

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the elastic scattering of a proton from a stationary carbon-12 nucleus. The goal is to find the kinetic energy and velocity of the scattered proton in both the lab reference frame and the center of mass frame. Conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations are used to solve the problem, with the assumption that the mass of carbon is 12 times the mass of a proton and the rest energy of the proton is 1000 MeV. It is determined that the rest energy is not needed and only three equations are needed to solve for the two unknown velocities and one unknown angle.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

A proton with kinetic energy T1 = 10MeV scatters elastically from a stationary carbon - 12 nucleus. The scattered proton emerges at 30o to its initial direction.

a) Draw a sketch to represent the b4 and after conditions for this collision in the lab reference frame. Apply conservation of energy and momentum to find the kinetic energy of the scattered proton.

(Hint: to a good approximation you can assume the mass of carbon is 12x the mass of the proton. Use this as a mass scale to formulate your solution i.e. m2 = 12m1 etc. To further simplify, assume that the rest energy of the proton is mpc2 = 1000MeV. The kinematics in this problem are non relatavistic.)

b) What is the velocity of the centre of mass of this system?

c) same as a but find velocities in the centre of mass frame.

Homework Equations

conservation of nrg stuff...

The Attempt at a Solution

My only question is how does the rest energy come into play with this problem and how do i apply it. If it is non-relatavistic why do i even have rest energy? I have my momentum equations set up properly, just not my energy.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems clear that you do not need to use relativity or the rest mass.
I don't see a need for energy equations either - conservation of momentum in two dimensions should give you all the answers.

you sure i don't need rest energy? Oh and i need energy because c needs it. And are you sure i can solve it all with only 1 velocity 1 mass and an angle? I haven't done scattering in a while, and this is just review.

Sorry, I forgot about the second angle. You have two unknown speeds and one unknown angle, so you need 3 equations. Two momentum equations and, yes, the conservation of kinetic energy.

okay thanks Delphi51, I'm trusting you man

1. What is a particle collision?

A particle collision is when two or more particles come into contact and interact with each other. This can result in the creation of new particles or the destruction of existing ones.

2. How do scientists study particle collisions?

Scientists use large particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to accelerate particles to extremely high speeds and collide them together. They then use detectors to measure the resulting particles and their properties.

3. What is proton kinetic energy?

Proton kinetic energy is the energy that a proton possesses due to its motion. It is calculated using the mass and velocity of the proton.

4. How does proton kinetic energy affect a particle collision?

The higher the proton kinetic energy, the more forceful the collision will be. This can result in the creation of more particles or the production of more energetic particles.

5. Why is the Carbon-12 nucleus commonly used in particle collisions?

The Carbon-12 nucleus is commonly used in particle collisions because it is stable and has a relatively low mass, making it easier to accelerate and collide with other particles. It also has a high binding energy, meaning it takes a lot of energy to break it apart, making it a good target for studying strong nuclear forces.