Charpy Impact Test: Understanding the Process and Results

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact Test
In summary, the metal is cooled with liquid nitrogen before it is tested to avoid breaking it and then it is hit with energy to measure the impact.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I was watching this charpy impact test video clip -

I fail to understand 2 things.

A) Why do they cool the metal with liquid nitrogen before they test it? It seems wasteful. Set the standard testing temperature to 25 degrees instead.

B) What happens to the metal after it gets hit? Does it always break apart? If so, how do we measure its impact strength if it always breaks apart?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
My area of expertise isn't in impact testing, but I've had a bit of experience. The liquid nitrogen isn't used for all testing. In fact, it's pretty rare that it would be used. I work for a company that designs cryogenic machinery so we often specify that the material should be impact tested at low temperature. But that's an option that is provided by the testing lab. We test at low temperature because we use the material at low temperature, but if the material is used at a different temperature, that other temperature is commonly used.

As far as I know, the specimen is always broken. The amount of energy the specimen absorbs when hit is equal to the amount of energy that comes out of that weighted arm that swings around. So they measure the energy by measuring the difference in height that the arm starts and ends the swing at. The arm always comes up to a height that is lower than what it started the swing at. The difference is the energy absorbed by the specimen.

Charpy tests are done over a range of temperatures.

Liquid nitrogen would be used to test a metal alloy at 'cryogenic' temperatures. One would expect the metals in contact with liquid nitrogen to be ductile so as to avoid brittle fracture if struck or impacted.

A Charpy specimen doesn't always break. If one was exploring the ductile-to-brittle transition temperature, then testing at a temperature above that level might produce a result in which the specimen didn't break. If that happens, then one would have to increase the energy to fracture the specimen. In the case of ductility, some energy goes into the plastic strain (over some volume) of the sample, in addition to propagating the fracture.

Thanks for clearing it up, Q Goest, Astronuc, I fully get it now :)

A) The reason for cooling the metal with liquid nitrogen is to simulate extreme temperatures that the material may experience in real-world applications, such as in cold environments or during rapid cooling processes. This allows scientists to test the material's ability to withstand sudden changes in temperature and assess its toughness. Additionally, setting the standard testing temperature to 25 degrees would not accurately reflect the range of temperatures that the material may encounter in different applications.

B) The metal does not always break apart during the impact test. Instead, the test measures the amount of energy absorbed by the material before it fractures. This is known as the material's impact strength. The test results provide valuable information about the material's resistance to sudden impacts and can help engineers determine its suitability for different applications. Even if the metal does break apart, the test can still provide valuable data on the material's fracture characteristics and failure modes.

1. What is the purpose of a Charpy impact test?

The purpose of a Charpy impact test is to measure the amount of energy absorbed by a material when it is subjected to a sudden impact. This provides valuable information about the material's toughness and resistance to brittle fracture.

2. How is a Charpy impact test performed?

A Charpy impact test involves placing a notched specimen of the material on supports and then striking it with a pendulum. The resulting energy absorbed by the specimen is measured and recorded.

3. What are the factors that can affect the results of a Charpy impact test?

Some factors that can influence the results of a Charpy impact test include the type and shape of the specimen, the temperature at which the test is performed, and any pre-existing flaws or defects in the material.

4. What do the results of a Charpy impact test indicate about a material?

The results of a Charpy impact test provide information about a material's ductility, toughness, and resistance to brittle fracture. A higher absorbed energy value indicates a tougher and more ductile material, while a lower value may indicate a more brittle material.

5. How are the results of a Charpy impact test interpreted?

The results of a Charpy impact test are typically presented in the form of a graph, with the absorbed energy on the y-axis and the temperature on the x-axis. The graph can be used to determine the ductile-to-brittle transition temperature of the material, as well as compare its toughness with other materials.