Polarization of Photon after Compton Scattering

In summary, Martin is seeking information about the polarization state of a photon after it has been compton scattered. The photon is initially linearly polarized, with a known incoming energy, scattering angle, and released energy. Martin is looking for a way to calculate the components of the polarization after the scattering, with known factors such as incoming propagation and E field. They have found some resources, but are still seeking help understanding the formulas and explanation.
Martin Sjolin
Hi

I am trying to find information about the polarization state of a photon after it has been compton scattered.

The photon is initially linearly polarized, has a known incoming energy, scattering angle and released energy.

Say we ave incoming propagation along the z axis and E field of the photon along the x axis.
How can i calculate the components of the polarization after the scattering?

Thank you for your help!
Martin

Science news on Phys.org
Hi!
Thanks for your reply! But I couldn't find what I am looking for.

According to the abstract they investigate the effects of the scattering due to the incoming photons polarization. What I am after is the polarization of the photon after the scattering. Say we know the incoming polarization, the scattering angle and the azimuthal angle (between the plane of the scattering and the incoming photons polarization vector), what is the polarization after?

I found this site: http://geant4.cern.ch/G4UsersDocuments/UsersGuides/PhysicsReferenceManual/html/node56.html

They give the formulas, but I would also need the expaination. Can someone help me with that?

What is polarization of a photon?

Polarization of a photon refers to the orientation of its electric and magnetic fields. A photon can have linear, circular, or elliptical polarization, depending on the direction and magnitude of its electric and magnetic fields.

What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon interacts with a charged particle, such as an electron, and loses some of its energy. The scattered photon has a longer wavelength and lower energy than the original photon.

How does Compton scattering affect the polarization of a photon?

During Compton scattering, the direction of the photon's polarization may change due to its interaction with the charged particle. This change in polarization is known as the Compton effect.

Can the polarization of a photon change after Compton scattering?

Yes, the polarization of a photon can change after Compton scattering. The degree of change depends on the angle of scattering, the energy of the photon, and the properties of the charged particle.

What are the applications of studying the polarization of photons after Compton scattering?

Studying the polarization of photons after Compton scattering can provide valuable information about the properties of the charged particles they interact with. This can be useful in fields such as astrophysics, materials science, and medical imaging.