Confused about a charge going into a magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Right hand rule and the Left hand rule in determining the direction of the force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. The right hand rule is used for the cross product, which returns a perpendicular vector, while the left hand rule is also used in certain situations involving electron beams. The Lorentz force law is also mentioned as a tool for understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.
Problem?
Say for instance a + charged particle is moving right along the x-axis. Then it will encounter a magnetic field with the direction pointing up. Using the Right hand rule, the force acting on that particle will be going out of the page to me so to speak.

But what if it was an electron with a negative charge? Will it still follow that right hand rule? or will it do the opposite and go into the page? I think it would still be out of the page, but is that right logic?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have always been wondering why they invent some thing called left hand rule and right hand rule for this and that. Isn't there something called cross product?

Yes, the right hand rule is part of the cross product. A cross product takes two vectors and returns a 3rd vector which is perpendicular to the previous two. But there are two such vectors, one determined by the left hand rule and one determined by the right hand rule. The cross product takes the one determined by the right hand rule. So the cross product implies the right hand rule.

netheril96 said:
I have always been wondering why they invent some thing called left hand rule and right hand rule for this and that. Isn't there something called cross product?

The Left and Right hand rules are for people who would run a mile at the mention of Vector Products. i.e School Pupils and the like.

The Left Hand rule just HAS to work for electron beams. Why should it not (if you are applying it correctly)?

1. How does a charge behave when it enters a magnetic field?

When a charge enters a magnetic field, it experiences a force perpendicular to both its velocity and the magnetic field direction. This is known as the Lorentz force.

2. What factors affect the behavior of a charge in a magnetic field?

The behavior of a charge in a magnetic field is affected by its velocity, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the velocity and magnetic field direction.

3. What is the direction of the force on a charge in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force on a charge in a magnetic field is always perpendicular to both the velocity of the charge and the magnetic field lines. This is known as the right-hand rule.

4. How does the velocity of a charge affect its path in a magnetic field?

The velocity of a charge determines the magnitude of the force it experiences in a magnetic field. A higher velocity will result in a larger force, while a lower velocity will result in a smaller force.

5. Is the force on a charge in a magnetic field always constant?

No, the force on a charge in a magnetic field is not always constant. It depends on the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field lines, as well as the strength of the magnetic field.