The Physics of Fire: Understanding Ignition & Oxygen

In summary, fire is a chemical reaction that involves the rapid oxidation of a combustible material. It starts when a combustible material is exposed to a heat source and needs oxygen to sustain itself. Heat is the energy source that triggers the combustion reaction, and the amount of oxygen directly affects the rate at which a fire burns.
rhenretta
Does anyone know a good resource that describes the physics of fire (not the album)? I understand the chemistry of it, breaking apart of hydrocarbons, and combining them with oxygen, but I have been trying to figure out what is actually happening on the atomic level. What is an "ignition source" and why oxygen is so critical to the process.

Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly what I wanted, and being Feynman is all the better. Thanks

1. What is fire?

Fire is a chemical reaction that involves the rapid oxidation of a combustible material, releasing heat, light, and various gases.

2. How does fire start?

Fire starts when a combustible material is exposed to a heat source, causing it to reach its ignition temperature and initiate the chemical reaction of combustion.

3. Why does fire need oxygen?

Oxygen is a necessary component of fire because it acts as an oxidizer, providing the necessary molecules for the combustion reaction to occur. Without oxygen, fire cannot sustain itself.

4. What is the role of heat in fire?

Heat is the energy source that raises the temperature of a combustible material to its ignition point, triggering the chemical reaction of combustion.

5. How does the amount of oxygen affect a fire?

The amount of oxygen in the surrounding environment directly affects the rate at which a fire burns. The more oxygen present, the faster and hotter the fire will be. A lack of oxygen can also cause a fire to die out.