Proving Inequality: d(x,y) = d1(x,y)/[1+d1(x,y)] as a Valid Distance in R^n

• Thread starter RenOdur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of showing that the function d(x,y) = d1(x,y)/[1+d1(x,y)] represents a distance in R^n when d1(x,y) is a distance in R^n. The three statements (i-iii) were given and it was proven that the first two hold true. The conversation then focused on how to get from d1(x,y)<= d1(x,z)+d1(z,y) to d1(x,y)/[1+d1(x,y)]<=d1(x,z)/[1+d1(x,z)]+d1(z,y)/[1+d1(z,y)]. The hint was to divide statement (iii) by 1+d1(x,y
RenOdur

Homework Statement

the actual problem is to show that d(x,y)=d1(x,y)/[1+d1(x,y)] expresses a distance in R^n if d1(x,y) is a distance in R^n.Based on theory I have to show that
i) d(x,y)>=0 ,
ii)d(x,y)=d(y,x) and
iii)d(x,y)<= d(x,z)+d(z,y)
i've proven the first two so basically how can i get from d1(x,y)<= d1(x,z)+d1(z,y)(the above three statements apply for d1(x,y) since d1(x,y) is already a distance in R^n ) to d1(x,y)/[1+d1(x,y)]<=d1(x,z)/[1+d1(x,z)]+d1(z,y)/[1+d1(z,y)] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
hint:Divide through all of (iii) by 1+ d1(x,y). You should then be able to write another inequality using what you know in (iii) and (i) on the denominator

K29 said:
hint:Divide through all of (iii) by 1+ d1(x,y). You should then be able to write another inequality using what you know in (iii) and (i) on the denominator

Let me get this right.do you suggest that i divide d(x,y)<= d(x,z)+d(z,y) by 1+d1(x,y) in order to reach an inequality that is true?or do you suggest dividing d1(x,y)<= d1(x,z)+d1(z,y) by 1+d1(x,y) in order to reach d(x,y)<= d(x,z)+d(z,y)?

well first you need to write (iii) in terms of d1 (which is also a distance)
then after noticing some things you can easily get to
d1(x,y)/[1+d1(x,y)]<=d1(x,z)/[1+d1(x,z)]+d1(z,y)/[1+d1(z,y)]

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using inequality symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It shows that one quantity is greater than, less than, or equal to the other quantity.

What is the process of proving an inequality?

The process of proving an inequality involves using logical reasoning and mathematical operations to show that one side of the inequality is always greater than, less than, or equal to the other side. This can be done by manipulating the given inequality using algebraic techniques or by substituting values to show that the inequality holds true.

Why is it important to prove inequalities?

Proving inequalities is important because it allows us to establish the relationship between different quantities and determine their relative magnitude. Inequalities are used extensively in various fields of science and mathematics, and proving them helps us to make accurate predictions and draw conclusions based on the given data.

What are some common techniques used to prove inequalities?

Some common techniques used to prove inequalities include algebraic manipulation, substitution, graphing, and mathematical induction. Each technique has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of inequalities.

Are there any rules or properties that can help in proving inequalities?

Yes, there are several rules and properties that can be used to prove inequalities, such as the properties of equality, the properties of inequalities, and the properties of real numbers. These rules and properties can help in simplifying and manipulating the given inequality to arrive at a conclusion.