Rational power of complex number-calculation

In summary, the problem is solved using DeMoivre's formula and the equilateral triangle formed by the complex number. The result is +/- 2*sqrt(2).
neginf

Homework Statement

Use definition (1), Sec. 28 of z^c to show that (-1 + i*sqrt(3))^(3/2) = +/- 2*sqrt(2)

Homework Equations

z^c = e^(c*log z)

The Attempt at a Solution

(-1 + i * sqrt(3))^(3/2) = e^[(3/2) * log(-1 + i * sqrt(3))]
= e^[(3/2) * (ln| 4 | + i * arg(-1 + i * sqrt(3))]
= e^[(3/2) * (2 * ln 2 + i * 2* pi / 3)]
=e^[(3/2) * 2 * ln 2 + (3/2) * 2 * i * pi / 3 ]
=e^[3 * ln 2 + i * pi]
=e^[3 * ln 2] * e^(i * pi)
=(e^ln2)^3 * (cos(pi) + i * sin(pi))
=2^3 * (-1)
=-8.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not the way I would do it. I would use DeMoivre's formula:
[tex](r e^{i\theta})^n= r^n e^{i n\theta}[/tex]

Here, [itex]z= -1+ i\sqrt{3}[/itex]. Drawing that point on the complex plane and dropping a perpendicular to the real axis gives a right triangle with legs of length 1 and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]. The hypotenuse has length [itex]\sqrt{1^2+ \sqrt{3}^2}= \sqrt{1+ 3}= \sqrt{4}= 2[/itex] so r= 2. Further, since the hypotenuse is exactly twice the leg along the real axis, duplicating the right triangle on the other side of the vertical line gives an equilateral triangle. The angle at the vertex is [itex]\pi/3[/itex] so [itex]\theta= \pi- \pi/3= 2\pi/3[/itex].

[tex]z= 2 e^{i2\pi/3}[itex] so [itex]z^{3/2}= 2^{3/2}e^{(i2\pi/3)(3/2)}= 2^{3/2)e^{i\pi}[/tex]
reduce that to rectangular form.

Of course, adding [itex]2\pi[/itex] to the argument will not change z but
[tex]z^{3/2}= 2^{3/2}e^{(i(2pi/3+ 2\pi))(3/2)}= 2^{3/2}e^{(i 8\pi/3)(3/2)}= 2^{3/2}e^{i4\pi}[/tex]

Thank you for that. I see how you get the +/- 2*sqrt(2).
I think what I did wrong was the ln(|-1+i*sqrt(3)|) which is ln 2, not 2*ln 2 since |-1+i*sqrt(3)| is 2, not 4.

Last edited:

What is the rational power of a complex number?

The rational power of a complex number is a mathematical operation that involves raising a complex number to a rational exponent. It is used to simplify complex number calculations and represents a fraction of the original number.

How do you calculate the rational power of a complex number?

To calculate the rational power of a complex number, you can use the following formula: (a + bi)^m = (a^m + mC1*a^(m-1)*b + mC2*a^(m-2)*b^2 + ... + mCm-1*a*b^(m-1) + b^m), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number and m is the rational exponent.

What is the significance of the rational power of a complex number in mathematics?

The rational power of a complex number is important in mathematics as it allows for the simplification of complex calculations involving imaginary numbers. It also helps in solving equations and understanding the behavior of complex functions.

Can the rational power of a complex number be a complex number?

Yes, the rational power of a complex number can result in a complex number. This is because the result of the rational power operation depends on the values of both the real and imaginary parts of the complex number and the rational exponent.

What are some real-life applications of the rational power of complex numbers?

The rational power of complex numbers has numerous applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. Some examples include using complex numbers to represent alternating currents in electrical circuits, analyzing resonance in mechanical systems, and modeling oscillations in quantum mechanics.