Glass slab with mirror at back

In summary, a slab with a thickness of 6 cm and a silvered end is placed 8 cm in front of an object. The final image is formed 10 cm behind the mirror. The refractive index (n) of the slab is to be found. The object 'sees' the mirror at a smaller distance due to normal shift, and the image is formed at twice the object distance. Using the equation 8 + 6- 6/n = 10 + 6/n, the correct value for n is found to be 1.5, although the attempt at a solution resulted in n=3. The mistake made is not considering the apparent position of the mirror and the object distance.
sachin123

Homework Statement

Please see here:
http://img198.imageshack.us/i/unledev.jpg/

object placed 8 cm before the slab(6 cm thick,silvered at other end).
The final image is formed 10 cm behind the mirror.Find refractive index of slab.

2. The attempt at a solution

n is refractive index
Okay.
So the object 'sees' the mirror at a smaller distance due to normal shift.
it sees the mirror at a distance:

8 + 6- 6/n cm

so the image as seen by the object will be at twice the object distance,
or
at 8 + 6- 6/n cm from the apparent position of the mirror.
It is given that the image is formed at a distance from 10 cm behind the actual mirror.
So,
I get to equate,
8 + 6- 6/n and 10 + 6/n.

so 8 + 6- 6/n =10 + 6/n.
which leads me to n=3.
But the answer is 1.5?

What mistake have I made?Please help me get the concept right.
This mistake keeps happening to me:cry:
I appreciate any help

Physics news on Phys.org
At least please tell me what I should be doing if you didn't understand my working.

1. What is a glass slab with mirror at the back?

A glass slab with mirror at the back is a scientific apparatus that consists of a rectangular glass slab with one of its sides coated with a thin layer of reflective material such as silver or aluminum. This creates a mirror-like surface on one side of the glass slab.

2. How does a glass slab with mirror at the back work?

The glass slab with mirror at the back works by reflecting light that passes through it. When light enters the glass slab, it undergoes refraction and then is reflected by the mirror coating on the back of the slab, resulting in a clear and upright image of the object placed in front of it.

3. What is the purpose of a glass slab with mirror at the back?

The glass slab with mirror at the back is used in scientific experiments to demonstrate the principles of refraction and reflection of light. It is also used in optical devices such as periscopes and telescopes to redirect light and create clear images.

4. Can a glass slab with mirror at the back be used to magnify objects?

No, a glass slab with mirror at the back does not have the ability to magnify objects. It only redirects light and creates an image of the object placed in front of it. To magnify objects, a lens or combination of lenses is needed.

5. How is a glass slab with mirror at the back different from a regular mirror?

A glass slab with mirror at the back differs from a regular mirror in that it is a combination of a glass slab and a mirror. It has the ability to refract and reflect light, while a regular mirror can only reflect light. Additionally, the image produced by a glass slab with mirror at the back may appear distorted due to the refraction of light, while a regular mirror produces a clear and undistorted reflection.