What Are the Best Resources for Winning Gold at the IMC?

In summary, a first year college student is seeking recommendations for textbooks, problem books, and tips to win a gold medal in the International Mathematics Competition for University Students. The conversation includes a discussion of the student's background and problem-solving skills, along with a list of suggested books in various mathematical areas such as algebra, analysis, combinatorics, geometry, and general problem solving. It is also recommended to seek advice from someone with olympiad experience for personalized recommendations.
Hurin
Hi, this is my first year in college, and I want to participate of the IMC (International Mathematics Competition for University Students). Can someone indicate good textbooks, problem books and other related tips to win a gold medal?

-Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This pretty much depends on where you want to start from. I have a huge list (collected from MIT website and from other sources) of books, but it is very hard and misleading to suggest anything before knowing what your background is.

doodle_sack said:
This pretty much depends on where you want to start from. I have a huge list (collected from MIT website and from other sources) of books, but it is very hard and misleading to suggest anything before knowing what your background is.

I'm in my first year. But, could you post your list please.

I meant to ask what is your problem-solving skill level, not which year of college you are in. As I said, the list is quite huge and it won't help you even decide which book to start from.

Assuming you have decent problem solving skills and you can ace a random problem from some regional math olympiad, I would suggest the following books:

Algebra
101 Problems in Algebra by Titu Andreescu and Zuming Feng
Intermediate Algebra by Richard Rusczyk and Mathew Crawford
Complex Numbers from A to... Z by Titu Andreescu

Analysis (For Problem Solving)
Counterexamples in Analysis by Bernard R. Gelbaum and John M. H. Olmsted
The Hitchhiker's Guide to Calculus by Michael Spivak
Calculus on Manifolds: A Modern Approach to Classical Theorems of Advanced Calculus by Michael Spivak
Problems and Theorems in Analysis I, Pólya & Gábor Szegö (Advanced)
Problems and Theorems in Analysis II, Pólya & Gábor Szegö (Advanced)
Problems & Propositions in Analysis, Klambauer & Gabriel

Combinatorics
102 Combinatorial Problems by Titu Andreescu and Zuming Feng
Generatingfunctionology
Mathematics of Choice by Ivan Niven
A Path to Combinatorics for Undergraduates: Counting Strategies by Titu Andreescu and Zuming Feng
Dr. David Patrick's Intermediate Counting & Probability
Enumerative Combinatorics, Volume 1 by Richard Stanley
Enumerative Combinatorics, Volume 2 by Richard Stanley
A First Course in Probability by Sheldon Ross

Geometry
Challenging Problems in Geometry
Geometry Revisited
Geometry of Complex Numbers by Hans Schwerfdtfeger
Geometry: A Comprehensive Course by Dan Pedoe
Non-Euclidean Geometry by H.S.M. Coxeter
Projective Geometry by H.S.M. Coxeter
Geometric Transformations I, Geometric Transformations II, and Geometric Transformations III by I. M. Yaglom.

General Problem Solving
The Art of Problem Solving Volume 2 by Sandor Lehoczky and Richard Rusczyk
The Art and Craft of Problem Solving by Paul Zeitz
How to Solve It by George Polya (This is more of a tactic & strategy oriented book, it will be a gem if you use it the right way)
A Mathematical Mosaic by Putnam Fellow Ravi Vakil
Proofs Without Words, Proofs Without Words II
Sequences, Combinations, Limits
100 Great Problems of Elementary Mathematics by Heinrich Dorrie
Mathematical Olympiad Challenges
Problem Solving Strategies by Arthur Engel
Problem Solving Through Problems by Loren Larson

Please Note: This list is partial and I still don't know your level, the BEST advice would be to find a guy from your university who has olympiad experience (or you can ask your professor) and ask him on how to get started.

Hello,

Congratulations on your first year in college and your interest in participating in the IMC! I understand the importance of having reliable and informative resources when it comes to competitions like this.

When it comes to preparing for the IMC, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics. I recommend starting with textbooks that cover the fundamental concepts and theories in algebra, geometry, calculus, and other relevant topics. Some popular options include "The Art of Problem Solving" by Richard Rusczyk and "Mathematical Olympiad Treasures" by Titu Andreescu.

In addition to textbooks, problem books are also a great way to practice and improve your problem-solving skills. Some highly recommended problem books for olympiad level mathematics include "Problem-Solving Strategies" by Arthur Engel and "Challenging Problems in Algebra" by Alfred S. Posamentier.

Aside from textbooks and problem books, it is also important to have a solid understanding of mathematical proofs. I suggest reading "How to Prove It" by Daniel J. Velleman to strengthen your proof-writing skills.

Lastly, it is important to have a strong understanding of the format and types of questions asked in the IMC. I recommend practicing with past competition papers and participating in mock competitions to get a feel for the level of difficulty and types of questions asked.

Remember, preparation and practice are key to success in any competition. I wish you all the best in your preparation for the IMC and hope you bring home a gold medal!

What are olympiad books?

Olympiad books are study materials designed specifically for students who are preparing for various international olympiad exams. These exams test a student's knowledge and skills in a specific subject, such as mathematics, science, or language. Olympiad books often contain practice questions, sample papers, and tips for success on the exams.

How can olympiad books help me prepare for olympiad exams?

Olympiad books provide a comprehensive and structured approach to studying for olympiad exams. They cover all the important topics and concepts that are tested on the exams, and often include challenging practice questions to help students improve their problem-solving skills. By using olympiad books, students can gain a better understanding of the exam format and increase their chances of success.

What subjects do olympiad books cover?

Olympiad books cover a wide range of subjects, including mathematics, science, English, computer science, and more. The specific subjects covered may vary depending on the publisher and the level of the olympiad exam. Some books may also offer a combination of subjects in one book, while others may focus on a single subject.

Where can I find olympiad books?

Olympiad books can be found in many bookstores and online retailers. They are also often available in libraries and can be borrowed for free. Additionally, many olympiad organizations and educational institutions may offer their own olympiad books for purchase. It's important to research and choose a reputable publisher or organization when looking for olympiad books.

Are olympiad books necessary for success on olympiad exams?

Olympiad books are not a requirement for success on olympiad exams. However, they can be a valuable resource for students who want to prepare thoroughly and achieve their best possible results. It's important to note that using olympiad books alone may not guarantee success, and students should also supplement their studying with other resources and practice.