Integration & Trig: Get Help Now!

In summary, to integrate 1/(1-x^5) and 1/(1+x^4), you can factor each polynomial into linear or quadratic terms using complex roots and then use partial fractions to integrate. In the trig question, the solutions to x^5=1 can be found by first finding the 5 fifth roots of unity and then using those to factor the polynomial. To integrate 1/sqrt(1-x^5), you can use the above factorization and then expand using partial fractions.
alamin
Need help in integration and trig
How do you integrate
1. 1/(1-x^5)
2. 1/(1+x^4)

and the trig question.
Show that

(a^2 - b^2)/c^2 = sin(A-B)/sin(A+B)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Every polynomial, such as 1- x5 and 1+ x4 can be factored, using real numbers, into a product of linear or quadratic terms.
To factor 1- x5, find all complex roots to x5= 1. One is, of course 1 the others are complex conjugates which can be paired to give two quadratic factors. Then use "partial fractions".
Same for 1/(1+x4).

In the trig question, are we to assum that a, b, and c are lengths of sides opposite angles A, B, C? In a right triangle or general triangle?

general triangle!
a,b,c are length's
A,B,C are opposite angles

Sorry but i made a mistake in the first integration question
its suppose to be 1/sqrt(1-x^5)

When i used this integration in mathematica 5 : i got something like hypergeometric2f1...

Can u help me out!

The 5 "fifth roots of unity" lie on a circle, in the complex plane of radius 1, equally spaced around the circle. The angle between them is 360/5= 72 degrees so they are;
1, cos(72)+ i sin(72), cos(144)+ i sin(144), cos(216)+ i sin(216), cos(288)+ i sin(288).

Since cos(72)= cos(288), sin(72)= -sin(288), cos(144)= cos(216), and sin(144)= sin(216), these are in pairs of complex conjugates (as they have to be in order to satisfy and equation with real coefficients.

The solutions to x5= 1 are: 1, cos(72)+ i sin(72), cos(72)- i sin(72), cos(144)+ i sin(144), cos(144)- i sin(144) and so
1- x= -(x-1)(x- cos(72)+ i sin(72))(x- 72- i sin(72))(x- cos(144)+ isin(144))(x- cos(144)- i sin(144))= -(x-1)((x-cos(72))2+ sin2(72))((x-cos(144)2+ sin2(144))

= -(x-1)(x2- 2cos(72)+ 1)(x2-2cos(144)+ 1).

Once you have that factorization you can expand 1/(1- x5) in partial fractions.

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a continuous function over a given interval.

What is the purpose of integration?

The purpose of integration is to solve problems related to finding areas, volumes, and other important quantities in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What are the basic integration rules?

The basic integration rules include the power rule, constant multiple rule, sum rule, and substitution rule. These rules help to simplify the integration process and make it easier to solve problems.

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems related to angles, distances, and heights in real-world applications.

What are the common trigonometric identities?

The common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These identities are used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve problems involving trigonometric functions.