Helping a Friend: Applying to US Schools with a Low GPA from Canada

• Thread starter Cudi1
  • Start date
In summary, my friend is likely in trouble if he applies to school in America using his old GPA from Canada. He would be better off attending a community college with an open admission policy and then trying again later when he has a higher GPA.
Cudi1
Hello, my friend attended a school in Canada where he received a bad gpa ( 1.7 ) and was required to withdraw. He now resides in America, and has asked me if he wanted to apply to school in america, would he have to show his old gpa or could he use his high school marks?
I think I gave him bad advice, I told him to use his old high school marks as they would have no way of finding out he attended school in Canada.

Physics news on Phys.org
He has to show his old GPA. If they found out he lied, he'll be in huge trouble. I suspect he'll immediately be kicked out.

Best thing to do is to attend a community college with open admission policy (most of them are). If he's serious about school this time, then his new (and presumably much higher) GPA will be given higher consideration. But yeah, lying about your credentials is a major no-no.

Thank you for the input regarding this matter, I shall let him know

When he fills out the application form, does it have a field asking whether he had been enrolled in another undergraduate program? If yes, he would probably have to provide that information.

The application asks whether he is applying as a new freshman or a transfer student. He just wants a clean slate AND is willing to do anything (even fabricate information)..

Cudi1 said:
The application asks whether he is applying as a new freshman or a transfer student. He just wants a clean slate AND is willing to do anything (even fabricate information)..
That is a REALLY bad idea! The CC suggestion is a very good one, and if he'll work hard, he can show that he has turned around scholastically, and apply to another college. Lots of students screw up in Freshman year due to lack of maturity, laziness, etc. Admission at the next college will be more forgiving if he attends CC and gets really good grades.

What is the best way to help a friend in need?

The best way to help a friend in need depends on the specific situation and the individual needs of your friend. Some ways to offer help include actively listening, providing emotional support, offering practical assistance, and connecting them with resources such as therapy or support groups.

How do I know if my friend needs help?

It's important to pay attention to your friend's behavior and any changes in their mood or habits. If they seem withdrawn, irritable, or are not performing tasks they usually do, it may be a sign that they are struggling and in need of help. It's always better to check in with them and ask how they are doing.

What if my friend doesn't want help?

Respecting your friend's wishes is important, but you can still offer your support and let them know you are there for them. It's important to communicate that seeking help is not a sign of weakness and that you care about their well-being. You can also suggest alternative forms of help, such as online resources or support groups.

How can I support my friend without overstepping boundaries?

It's important to respect your friend's boundaries and not force them into accepting help. You can support them by offering to listen, being non-judgmental, and providing reassurance. It's also important to take care of your own well-being and boundaries while supporting your friend.

What if my friend's situation is beyond my ability to help?

If you feel that your friend needs professional help or that their situation is beyond your ability to help, it's important to encourage them to seek help from a therapist or other mental health professional. You can also offer to help them find resources and support them in seeking help.